Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 D1CW Coaches Poll

Default 2013 D1CW Coaches Poll

Always enjoyed these. Thanks to Earl for doing this.

Somewhat surprised Howe was considered considering he hasn't wrestled in 2 years collegiately.

Also surprised Logan was voted best on top over DT, but obviously Logan is a fine choice and possibly more deserving.

2013 D1CW Coaches Poll - D1 College Wrestling
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Default Re: 2013 D1CW Coaches Poll

Is Ruth really that hard to takedown?

Somewhat surprised Howe was considered considering he hasn't wrestled in 2 years collegiately.

AH took apart one of my guys (Porter) and Porter was a bitch for me to take down . porter came off the mat and couldn't raise his arms nor head .AH has my ultimate respect.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post

AH took apart one of my guys (Porter) and Porter was a bitch for me to take down . porter came off the mat and couldn't raise his arms nor head .AH has my ultimate respect.
    My point wasn't that he isn't one of the most physical guys, he certainly is and I think we have a similar level of respect for Howe. My point was that he hadn't wrestled in 2 years collegiately.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    Is Ruth really that hard to takedown?
    Both Ruth and Nelson struggled mightily in the takedown defense department during the freestyle season this year- not just against international opponents but against college aged Americans as well. Are folkstyle and freestyle standing defense THAT different?

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Both Ruth and Nelson struggled mightily in the takedown defense department during the freestyle season this year- not just against international opponents but against college aged Americans as well. Are folkstyle and freestyle standing defense THAT different?
    The amount of control needed to be awarded a takedown is different. Not to mention, the competition they were facing in free was a step up from your normal college dual meet.

Ruth didn't get taken down much in folk, free is definitely a different story. I remember Steinhaus getting a bunch of good shots on him in the Big Ten final, don't think he finished any.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    The amount of control needed to be awarded a takedown is different. Not to mention, the competition they were facing in free was a step up from your normal college dual meet.
    Nelson got beaten -badly- by Tyrell Fortune, who finished college this year I think, and by Gwazidowski (sp?) who is in college. Although Ruth won the University team trials, he gave up a ton of points to guys who aren't even the best NCAA wrestlers. Lost badly to Reader and Foster, who are out of college but aren't really world-level threats (until Foster's big win this weekend, at least). Yeah, they were giving up points to tough guys, but it's not like they wrestled the Olympic champion or anything.

The top guys in the Most Athletic category all have something in common, I can't quite put my finger on it.