Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Freestyle Rules from FILA

Default New Freestyle Rules from FILA

FILA announced rules changes this weekend. In my opinion they did a poor job of making the announcement, which is the last thing FILA needs to do right now, but that is for another time.

There is a discussion of the rules over in the freestyle/greco forum, so I will summarize freestyle only here and ask what the folkstyle fans think and whether this makes for a better or worse transition from college. No offense to Greco, but since it is even further from folkstyle, I'm leaving it out.

Main changes:
    Two 3-minute periods
    Cumulative score wins (no winning periods)
    Takedowns and all turns are worth 2 points (Push outs still worth 1 point)
    Takedowns can occur outside the circle
    Passivity - First call results in a warning. With your second passivity call they start a 30 second clock - you must score in those 30 seconds or you give up a stalling point.

Ties - I assume when both wrestlers have equal scores, the winner is chosen the same way (highest point move or whoever scored last). HOWEVER, if the score is 0-0 after 2 minutes in the period, the referee must call passivity on one wrestler and begin the 30 second clock. So there will never be a 0-0 tie.

Default Re: New Freestyle Rules from FILA

Ok, my thoughts on my own thread:
    I like the 2x3 minute periods. I think it emphasizes conditioning a little more than 3x2 minute periods with a good break and a towel off/towel fanning in between each.

I like the point changes. I think lots of people feel that a TD should be worth more than a push out, so now they both score (I'm ok with that) but a full TD is worth more. I liked that a higher amplitude (right term here?) turn or throw was worth more, but I get that semi-fans probably couldn't tell the difference between them.

I like the TD at the edge concept. I'm not sure what will count (like you need one body part in like college rules) or not since I couldn't find the actual rule announcements.

I like the passivity call in general, however, I am really skeptical of the mandatory passivity call at 2 minutes. I have seen lots of great matches where both wrestlers are far from stalling, yet there is no score in the first 2 minutes. I wonder if they decided 2 minutes instead of 2:30 so that they could essentially do a double stall call and put both wrestlers on he clock in the last minute. I can't find if this is the case or just my own dumb idea.

Obviously the lack of mat wrestling and scoring exposures from TDs are still different and will still require a fair amount of adjustment. I think that the conditioning, the scoring at the edge, and the (hopefully) increased stall warnings all get closer to college wrestling style, so I think this might help (slightly) college wrestlers transition. I think this is important because people like Jordan Burroughs have really struggled in international competition immediately out of college.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    people like Jordan Burroughs have really struggled in international competition immediately out of college.
    Say huh?
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

I watched a bit of the LA event, looked a lot like old rules freestyle. Good action but thats to be expexted in an exhibition (last weeks dual was great too). A 10 pt tech happens very fast with 2 pt tds. I'm disappointed Garcia lost to Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Say huh?
    Didn't he lose a period or two on his way to win a world title the summer after he graduated? Maybe that is struggling?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Say huh?
    It was intended as a bit of complementary sarcasm. Apparently it seemed more lead balloon.

Burroughs obviously has not needed any help withe the rules changes. I think they help the college to freestyle transition. Arm-Spin clearly knows international freestyle way better than I do, so his comments about the relative scores for exposure being good for US wrestlers makes me feel even better.

I like the new rules. Hopefully it will result in something a little more palatable for the masses. However, I don't think the new passivity rule goes far enough. Stalling calls are still too subjective. I'd like to see a "shot clock", where within 30 seconds, you either make a committed shot or a committed throw. If not, you have 30 seconds to score or your opponent gets a point.

I wonder if the 2nd stalling call resulting in the 30 sec "shot clock" will not encourage reverse stalling! You can be sure that the other guy will be stalling to hold off the TD to get a point. So it means you're guaranteed to have 30 sec of stalling out of the period (unless he gets a quick TD). The same holds for the 0-0 after 2 minutes. There may not have been much stalling before, but the non-warned wrestler will certainly stall then!

The tie score at end of regulation is unclear to me. I hate the idea that the referee has the ability to "pick" the guy who is basically penalized and his "shot clock" begins. Sounds like a paper rock scissor solution similiar to the blue ball grab