Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No D1 National Duals Next Year

Default Re: No D1 National Duals Next Year

Originally Posted by vaisforlovers
    Iowa, Minny and Ok St were all there last year.

Nobody came. Don't blame the few top schools that didn't go. This is not an event fans want to go to apparently. Don't blame coaches who want to win.

Quote Originally Posted by SetonHallPirate View Post
    Given that they announced the site of the finals two months in advance last year, no, I would say that wasn't the problem.
    Sorry, I read VA's message as meaning last year (2012) not this year (2013). I'd have to agree that didn't play much of a role 13 months later.

I personally won't miss the national duals but if everything was run at high efficiency and all the top teams would buy in I think it could be a real fun event for fans. National duals is way down on my list in terms of college wrestling events I look forward to every year. My list would look something like this....

1. NCAAs
    2. Big Tens
    3. Midlands/Scuffle
    4. wrestle offs
    5A. National Duals
    5B. Big dual meets

Wow,
    Wrestle offs are ranked higher than Dual meets and National duals.

Why even bother have the season, let's set the team, do a couple major tournaments, then get straight to NCAAs.

wrestle offs more because it means the season is getting kick started, but yes I do look forward to Iowa wrestle offs more than national duals. The time and organization of the event is terrible

I've been to Iowa wrestle offs the past two years and I would gladly keep going to them instead of national duals in its current format. Wrestle offs are great at Iowa and Iowa State. Went to both last year and while very different both do a great job.

I can't justify traveling for national duals right before I go to nationals. Especially not two different weekends for duals.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I can't justify traveling for national duals right before I go to nationals. Especially not two different weekends for duals.
    You wouldn't have to if ESPN televised them. Maybe Iowa, Penn State, and Okie St can hold a triangular that weekend.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    You wouldn't have to if ESPN televised them. Maybe Iowa, Penn State, and Okie St can hold a triangular that weekend.
    I'd be all for that.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    Wow,
    Wrestle offs are ranked higher than Dual meets and National duals.

Why even bother have the season, let's set the team, do a couple major tournaments, then get straight to NCAAs.
    Honestly, I have felt ambivalent toward dual meets for some time now. To me, they are a means to an end, which is Nationals. I have advocated in the past using a weighted formula whereby dual meet record, strength of schedule, in-season tourney results, post season tourney results, and nationals go into crowning a NC team. I'd give Nationals 60% of the equation, and let the rest flow down to 100%. Make everything done during the season part of the crowning. That is the only way to return duals to any relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Honestly, I have felt ambivalent toward dual meets for some time now. To me, they are a means to an end, which is Nationals. I have advocated in the past using a weighted formula whereby dual meet record, strength of schedule, in-season tourney results, post season tourney results, and nationals go into crowning a NC team. I'd give Nationals 60% of the equation, and let the rest flow down to 100%. Make everything done during the season part of the crowning. That is the only way to return duals to any relevance.
    Tucker--I've also proposed something like you did in the past. Didn't get any momentum. I think the feeling was that it's too complicated to catch on with the fans who you're trying to attract. Personally I would love to see the National Duals return in its old format. But I don't want to see them messing with the current March tourney in terms of taking away the team championship, as it adds a lot to an event that is already exceedingly popular. But, why can't they bring back the old format for the National Duals? I think it worked pretty well.