Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No D1 National Duals Next Year

Default Re: No D1 National Duals Next Year

I don't know enough of the details about why people did what, but at the end of the day it was clear that there was not enough overall support for the way National Duals were headed. Hopefully they step back and iron out some of the most pressing issues instead of dropping it altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    So, essentially, this was a vindictive response to what nearly happened at the beginning of the season. Totally rational. The National Duals appear to have been cancelled because 3 of the biggest fan bases dropped out of commitments. And that sucks.
    The elephant in the room is economics. Iowa, PSU, and OSU can make more money scheduling regular duals than they can by participating in or even hosting the Duals. I know everyone wants those 3 schools plus Minn to share the wealth to grow the sport, but at what price to them, and them alone? Think of this from someone like Cael's perspective. You are asking him to take $30-40k from his revenue budget (a lost dual at home) to wrestle a team at a neutral site with low attendence where he has travel expenses to boot. All this for the unproven idea that this will somehow grow D1 wrestling and put more people in seats at regular dual meets everywhere. Instead, Cael would prefer to go where he thinks he can better help D1 wrestling, which is to have duals with Utah Valley State or this coming year to Boston U to help save their program.

I also don't believe a Feb date for the Duals did them any favors. I believe some of Iowa's injury bug came from too many tough events to end the season. If I'm Brands, my season ending report to the AD would have choice words for the Duals. Make the Duals a Christmas/ New Years event for D1 to increase early season visability on the sport and to allow kids to attend. Bring in 32 teams and hold a 3 day event at a big arena in an area where D1 wrestling needs to grow (CA, GA, etc). Wrestle twice a day to get down to the last two teams on day 3 and also have a quasi-all star match with wrestlers selected from the remaining 30 teams. These two matches would be televised. Have the wrestlers from teams eliminated on day one be available for instructional classes with the younger set on day two. Increase the positive outreach for the cost you are asking schools to pay. The main problem is that the NWCA has not provided enough selling points to those programs that would stand to lose the most revenue.

Just my two pennies ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Bring in 32 teams...
    How do you do that when you have coaches who are more interested in their bottom line than in promoting the growth of a dying sport.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

While the "old way" had its issues, that was always such a fun tournament to watch (being there in 09 is still a personal highlight for me despite Minnesota's sub par performance).

Whether they do it at the beginning of the year or during the middle of the year like in the past, would love to see it go back that other way. Whether its at UNI again or elsewhere.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    While the "old way" had its issues, that was always such a fun tournament to watch (being there in 09 is still a personal highlight for me despite Minnesota's sub par performance).

Whether they do it at the beginning of the year or during the middle of the year like in the past, would love to see it go back that other way. Whether its at UNI again or elsewhere.
    Shane I would say the same thing about this year. It was an absolute blast to get to watch Oregon state dual VT and Michigan. I was really looking forward to it coming back out to the NW again sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

This year, watching Mizz in a tight match against Iowa - and Minn in an equally tight match against OkSt... AT THE SAME TIME. It was, without question, the best single hour of a wrestling event I've ever seen. A lot of guys get worked up about who won and who didn't... but to me it isn't about the outcome. It was just crazy fun to be part of. Iowa and OkSt, with a couple of things going their way, could have easily turned the outcomes around, but it wouldn't have changed the how much fun it was to watch it unfold.

Whatever the outcome, the electricity in the building pegged the meter. Looking around, nearly everybody was fired up like you don't see at typical duals. There is no question - there is a market for an event like this. Maybe we can get over the infighting and selfishness, or maybe we can't, but that's a different story. There is, flat out, a market for this event. One of the important details that needs to get worked out is how to offer it via web streaming. Those that complaint that they can't fly to 2 major events a year are 100% correct. Same can be said for many away dual matches. The physical attendees are super important, and at the same time, we need to find a good way to stream these events reliably and at reasonable prices to those that can't be there ... and with accurate counts so we can report REAL numbers rather than physical ticket numbers. The internet is a key piece in making this work.

I'm one of the PSU fans who have been in favor of the National Duals, but not in the current format. If they would go back to the 2-day weekend in January and keep the NCAA team championship at the March event, then I would love to see it continue. But, I don't think it's correct to say that finances is the bottom line for all those who oppose. I don't know all that's going on, but I do know that Cael has a different philosophy about what will help NCAA wrestling. He's been using the extra weekend to go away to a program to help it (not generate more income at a home event). I don't really know why it fell through this year, as I had heard that PSU was coming on board if the format changed a bit. I really did enjoy the old National Duals. I hope it can come back!

Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    How do you do that when you have coaches who are more interested in their bottom line than in promoting the growth of a dying sport.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that. I think some weigh the preceived benefit of different choices differently than others, and especially so when seen against the bottom line. Emotions and such will always run high when bottom lines are involved as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    Iowa, Minny and Ok St were all there last year.

Nobody came. Don't blame the few top schools that didn't go. This is not an event fans want to go to apparently. Don't blame coaches who want to win.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.