Thread: 4 Iowans to join Hawks today

Default 4 Iowans to join Hawks today

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

4 Iowans to join Hawks today

By Andy Hamilton
    Iowa City Press-Citizen

Tom Brands is putting the Iowa back in Iowa wrestling.

Brands and the Hawkeyes are expected to sign four wrestlers -- all highly ranked Iowans -- to national letters of intent today when the fall signing period begins.

West High stars Nate Moore and Grant Gambrall, Linn-Mar two-time state champion Matt McDonough and Waverly-Shell Rock state champ Mark Ballweg made verbal commitments to Iowa, giving the Hawkeyes four of the top five prospects in the state and four of the top 46 recruits in the country, according to InterMat.

Moore, a Junior National freestyle champion and projected 125-pounder, is ranked the eighth-best prospect in the country by InterMat and was the first wrestler to commit to Iowa's class. McDonough, Ballweg and Gambrall were Junior National All-Americans last year. Collectively, they have a 465-38 record in high school.

Iowa's class included two-time Illinois state champion Jordan Blanton until he backed out of his commitment last week when the Hawkeyes asked him to reallocate scholarship funds so they could have the finances to redshirt Alex Tsirtsis this year and bring him back for his senior season in 2008-09.

NCAA rules prohibit Brands and Iowa officials from commenting on prospective recruits until they have signed a letter of intent.

"(Brands) really didn't go against his word, and I don't want people to think less of him as a person or a coach because it was my decision," Blanton said. "They didn't force me away. It was just something as a team that they had to do and it made me look at a couple options, and that's the way it went. But he didn't completely renege on his offer or anything like that. He didn't do anything bad, and I don't want him to have the reputation that he does that kind of thing."

Blanton, a projected 174-pounder in college, said he is considering Illinois and other schools that have recently come back into the picture for his services.

Reach Andy Hamilton at 339-7368 or ahamilton@press-citizen.com.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Default Re: 4 Iowans to join Hawks today

I don't know anything about the Blanton Scholarship Changes, but it seems a little odd that they would sign someone to a certain % and later realize that they need to reallocate funds.

It may not have been a sneaky bait and switch, but any time you're off on $$ its bad business. (Nothing against Iowa, just my perspective from reading only this article)

this whole thing kind of stinks and I have a hard time blaming the teenager in this situation...a kid of blanton's quality is going to get a full scholarhip elsewhere for his services so when iowa asked him to reallocate funds, i can't blame him for reviewing his options...what the hell is iowa thinking on that one...can anyone tell me whats wrong with tsirtsis? i guess all of those V-Tech transfers are starting to eat up some scholarship money at this point...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Yeah, next thing you know we'll hear Brands was cooking the books to make sure the Hawks had enough money for all the scholarships he promised.

Note: That was a joke. I am in no way insinuating Tom Brands is smart enough to do some tricky accounting.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

hell, everyone knows its not about the blue chippers you sign to full scholarships, its about the partials and the walk-ons that you can convince to come on board...

they blew it with blanton and the sad thing is he would have had one hell of a career their at iowa as well...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."