Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 54 of 118

Thread: Your teams lineup

  1. #46

    Default Re: Your teams lineup

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    Falcon's point is interesting, as I just heard about this this past weekend.

    Mark Perry had called a coach in our area to inquire about an upper weight wrestler and what his skills were, etc. for recruitment purposes. This coach asked him why he was interested in him (has only won one state title so far) and Perry said that with upper weight wrestlers who are continually developing they offer far more promise than ones who come out of high school as blue chippers. In many cases, as Perry said, they simply don't pan out, and you get your best recruits from wrestlers who are still developing their skills out of high school.

    Now, consider some of the upper weight blue chippers over the years, and Perry makes a decent point. Without mentioning names, there's one GREAT case in point of that right now.
    Who are you thinking of?
    Gold is an idiot.

  2. #47
    National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ft Campbell, KY
    Posts
    944

    Default Re: Your teams lineup

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    I don't think that's true at all honestly. Yes, in a vacuum a 4x PA champ will do better than a 4x AZ champ, but there are too many other factors too consider. It's an easy thing to say, but not really the reality of the situation.

    PA, Ohio, NJ produce their fair share of flops.
    If I was a college coach I would feel safer going for a two Ohio or PA champ them a four timer from Tennessee or Texas. Recruiting is and always will be a crap shoot, but I've been learning how to play craps and some bets are safer then others
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

  3. #48

    Default Re: Your teams lineup

    Quote Originally Posted by FalconWrestlingKY View Post
    If I was a college coach I would feel safer going for a two Ohio or PA champ them a four timer from Tennessee or Texas. Recruiting is and always will be a crap shoot, but I've been learning how to play craps and some bets are safer then others
    That's just it, that's too simplistic.

    Today in wrestling it's so much more than state titles. Look at big tournaments, Fargo, etc.

    Edgar Bright didn't win 1 title in Ohio and I'd take him over a lot of Ohio state champions and PA state champions. It's not as simple as you're trying to make it sound. It's case by case, imo.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  4. #49
    National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ft Campbell, KY
    Posts
    944

    Default Re: Your teams lineup

    I wasn't limiting it to just state titles, Edgar Bright helps prove my point. He is a far better recruit then big fishes from smaller states. I am not discounting national tournaments at all, but hey Eric Grajales won Fargo and look where that got him. When he had to wrestle top kids day in and day out he was exposed as overrated. Guys like David Taylor and Nico Megaludis had to wrestle some of the best in the nation day in and day out, kids wrestlers like Finch only saw at the occasional national tournament.
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

  5. #50

    Default Re: Your teams lineup

    Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    Who are you thinking of?
    It's what Perry was thinking, not me. I'm just the messenger.
    Last edited by ban basketball; 04-11-2013 at 09:20 PM.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  6. #51

    Default Re: Your teams lineup

    Quote Originally Posted by FalconWrestlingKY View Post
    I wasn't limiting it to just state titles, Edgar Bright helps prove my point. He is a far better recruit then big fishes from smaller states. I am not discounting national tournaments at all, but hey Eric Grajales won Fargo and look where that got him. When he had to wrestle top kids day in and day out he was exposed as overrated. Guys like David Taylor and Nico Megaludis had to wrestle some of the best in the nation day in and day out, kids wrestlers like Finch only saw at the occasional national tournament.
    There is some merit to them facing elite competition more consistently, I still think if you looked hard at some big state guys, youd find some flops.

    Look at Earls recruiting rewind.

    2. Zach Kemerer from Pa
    3. Albert white-illinois(i consider an elite hs state)
    4. Nemec-ohio

    there are other big state guys in those rankings that far from lived up to the hype.

    It is easy to say "Hey look at Cody Gardner, hes from VA and was a flop. But it happens everywhere.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  7. #52

    Default Re: Your teams lineup

    I am strictly guessing Marcus Harrington

  8. #53

    Default Re: Your teams lineup

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    It's what Perry was thinking, not me. I'm just the messenger.
    You said there was a GREAT case you were thinking of, and not mentioning names.

  9. #54

    Default Re: Your teams lineup

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    You said there was a GREAT case you were thinking of, and not mentioning names.
    Fair enough: who Perry was inquiring about and who I am thinking of are two different people.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •