Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Cowboys of all time

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Default Best Cowboys of all time

I always found myself to be a big fan of Roger Staubach....

But in all seriousness I have reached the conclusion that there isn't enough talk about Oklahoma State on here, and I was just thinking about where JO places all time versus other Cowboy wrestlers so here is my top 10 with no criteria whatsoever because that is easy and boring. Here is my top 10 based purely off of gut decisions

1. John Smith
    2. Eric Guerrero
    3. Pat Smith
    4. Yojiro Uetake
    5. Jordan Oliver
    6. Jimmy Jackson
    7. Steve Mocco
    8. Kenny Monday
    9. Chris Pendleton
    10. Johny Hendricks

Shocking Omissions - Jake Rosholt, Lee Roy Smith, Johnny Thompson, Kendall Cross, Doug Blubaugh, and Myron Roderick
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

Default Re: Best Cowboys of all time

I was about ready to call you and cuss you out for leaving coach Blubaugh off the list.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

All the names listed were the ones I was debating for 10th. Johny had the advantage because him and Chris Pendleton were my favorite Cowboy wrestlers from that era (my top favorite was Joe Dubuque).
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

Reaching back kind of far in time, but Dick Hutton?
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

You mean you hold no grudge against Mocco for his Hawkeye years?

John Smith vs John Wayne is a toughie.

I love Oliver but I don't know whether he or Monday is better pound for pound. That would have been an incredible match if they were at the same weight class. At the same time. On different teams. Other than that it almost happened.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    You mean you hold no grudge against Mocco for his Hawkeye years?
    Without Mocco we wouldn't have won the national title in '05, and we would've lost to OU

Any list that does not include Dick Hutton (veryveryclose to becoming the first-ever four-time champ), Earl McCready (first-ever three-time champ, one of only two men to win his three title matches by fall -- the other being Dan Hodge, Oklahoma) and Stanley Henson (some historians consider him the best college wrestler between World War I and II) is missing three very key members of the all-time great Oklahoma State wrestler lists.

Mark

I tried my best to find guys from back in the day but quite a few definitely slipped through the cracks. I think I am one of the few guys that would put Uetake so high, but I am a big fan of his