Thread: Level of competition

Default Level of competition

There are big stirs about if dake is the greatest of all time? I think the simple answer is no, due to the fact that cael was undefeated in his rout to being a 4x Ncaa champion. Although I think cael is the greatest so far, one question has been clicking around my head and me being younger I don't know the answer. I know dake in his rout beat wrestlers like Marion, molinaro, St john, and Taylor (3 national champions and multiple AA statuses). Did cael have equally tough competition?

Default Re: Level of competition

Cael didn't get to beat many national champs because he was winning all those titles in his weight. Because Dake kept moving up it opened spots for guys like Molinaro and St. John to win titles...I know Cael had at least 1 win over 2x champ Hahn, and put a thorough beating on Trenge in NCAA final, who is one of the best never to win a title (DNW,2,2,3. May have been the favorite his freshman year but couldn't compete due to eye injury.) Beat 2x finalist Vertus Jones 19-6 in NCAA finals. Won another final over World Silver Medalist Brandon Eggum. And another finals win over Cormier, a 2x olympian. Other defeated opponents include olympian Andy Hrovat, NCAA champ and Greco World Silver Medalist Brad Vering, and NCAA champ Rob Rohn. I would like to find the scores he beat some of these guys by.
    Last edited by DrFeelNice; 03-24-2013 at 08:34 PM.

I would say no. Although he was the OW at NCAAs all four years which I found interesting. Here is who he beat each year.

1999 - Didion, Patrick, Hrovat, Vering and Eggum
    2000 - Schaaf, Pecaro, Rohn, Eggum and Vertus Jones
    2001 - Hanson, Wilson, J. Smith, Sveda, Cormier
    2002 - Mausser, Cerminara, Payne, Preston and Trenge

By comparison Dake beat:
    2010 - Schavrien, Nacita, Jones, Humphrey and Marion
    2011 - Corby, Gillespie, Parks, Sanjaa, Molinaro
    2012 - Nicholson, Kreimier, Hickman, Sanjaa, St. John
    2013 - Martin, Leblanc, Sulzer, Caldwell, Taylor

Hard to judge overall as Dake has yet to hit the post NCAA circuit but I think in the tournaments his competiton was tougher than Sanderson's.
    The NCAA selection committee just screwed the Gophers on seeding.

Did some quick research...Cael's freshman year he defeated 2008 olympian Andy Hrovat in the quarters by fall in 4:24, then defeated Brad Vering in the semis by fall in 1:58. Vering moved up to 197 the next year and won the title, before becoming an olympian and world silver medalist in greco. Sanderson then beat Eggum in the finals 6-1. Eggum went on to a world silver medal in freestyle. That's one heck of a tournament by a freshman!

Cael's sophomore year he beat Rob Rohn by tech fall in the quarters. Rohn would win the title next year when Cael moved up. In the semis Cael beat Eggum again, 16-5, before beating 2x finalist Vertus Jones in the final 19-6.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherfan View Post
    There are big stirs about if dake is the greatest of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by goldengopher View Post
    Hard to judge overall as Dake has yet to hit the post NCAA circuit but I think in the tournaments his competiton was tougher than Sanderson's.
    This is a great questiion which will certainly generate much debate. Suppose we limit it to their college careers and not consider post college competition, as Dake's future is unknown.

Edit: I just noticed the other thread which addresses this question.
    Last edited by Spider; 03-25-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

It should be noted that Cael made the national team when he still was in college and in fact Eggum only got to go the world's after Cael withdrew because the world's were rescheduled and interfered with the college season.