Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best College Wrestlers Ever

Default Re: Best College Wrestlers Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I know Steiber has only completed two years, but he is certainly on track to be on that list, especially with his beatng Jordan Oliver in the finals as a true freshman
    When you say it like that... DAmn thats impressive
    Gold is an idiot.

I think its pretty well established that Dakes competition was better then Caels. I'm curious; who did Pat Smith beat in the finals each year?

He's like the mystery four timer, I know very little about him
    Gold is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    I think its pretty well established that Dakes competition was better then Caels. I'm curious; who did Pat Smith beat in the finals each year?

He's like the mystery four timer, I know very little about him
    Besides Taylor, I don't think Dakes opponent we at another level over Cael. Arm spin makes a convincing argument.

Smiths final opponents were in order Schleicher from Navy, Tom Ryan from Iowa (yes the same Tom Ryan), Miller from Arizona State and Bormet from Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Taylor aside, are Dake's opponents really THAT much better? I'm not that familiar with Sanderson's college career but i know he beat several NCAA champions in addiion to the guys mentioned above. Also.. Cormier, Vering, Eggum- all world medallists. In fact, Sanderson wrestled the Russian who beat Eggum in the world finals, and I'm pretty sure he was still in college at the time. Sanderson killed him.

Maybe I'm selling them short, but I really can't see Marion, DSJ, Molinaro ever winning a world medal (or even the US open).
    Well you can't say "take away his best wins, how good are his wins" yes, that diminishes it.

He beat the guy who took a collective dump on an entire weight class last year, on 3 occassions. It's remarkable.

I think Cael is still number 1, but using international success as a barometer isn't fair or accurate in my opinion. Have you seen 74kg for US? Not easy to have success there if you aren't Jordan Burroughs. These guys weren't World medalists when Cael beat them were they?

Taylor was the Hodge winner before Dake beat him. I think it matters who they are when you beat them, not what they became.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    When you say it like that... DAmn thats impressive
    Pretty sure it's been said but again Stieber was NOT a true freshman when he beat JO. Also that was still a takedown
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

While Sanderson was in college, Olympic champ Magomedov (Russia) beat Eggum in the world finals and he beat them both pretty handily (freestyle, of course). He also won a world silver medal (pretty sure it was the year he graduated), beating Mindorashvilli in the process. You can discount these wins as they are not college wins, I guess, but they are pretty impressive nonetheless.

Yeah, Dake beating Taylor was pretty friggin' awesome. I guess I'm just not all that impressed with his other opponents. Maybe that's because I recently watched DSJ's 19 minutes of wrestling with no takedown (NCAA semis and finals). That said, I'm very interested to see how Dake does internationally. Even if he can't beat Burroughs, there's no reason he can't medal at the trials and go to a lot of international events. I'd love to see him wrestle greco too, I heard somewhere he's qute good at it and he has the hips to hit some nasty throws.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Well you can't say "take away his best wins, how good are his wins" yes, that diminishes it.

He beat the guy who took a collective dump on an entire weight class last year, on 3 occassions. It's remarkable.

I think Cael is still number 1, but using international success as a barometer isn't fair or accurate in my opinion. Have you seen 74kg for US? Not easy to have success there if you aren't Jordan Burroughs. These guys weren't World medalists when Cael beat them were they?

Taylor was the Hodge winner before Dake beat him. I think it matters who they are when you beat them, not what they became.
    My point was just a counter to the argument thtat Dake's opponents are clearly better. If you line up all of thier finals opponents, Taylor is clearly the best, the other seven it is not so clear where they fall.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    He beat the guy who took a collective dump on an entire weight class last year
    Made me laugh.

Is anyone else thinking that Dake does in free what he did in college? Just goes up a weight.

I'm interested in Burroughs and Dake in the line up. As much of a non-fan of Dake, I have to admit, I'm interested in what those two could do. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if he successfully bumped up one more weight. I realize it is a big jump, but I also realize that betting against Dake isn't a good way to make money.