Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Finals

Default Thoughts on Finals

So this is probably the least attention that I've been able to pay to a college wrestling season since my freshman year of college, but here are some semi stream of conscious thoughts about last nights's matches. I actually still have to watch the medal round matches that were televised.

174: Went down about how I expected it to. It was interesting at least in my eyes that they mentioned that Perry had said in an interview that he had a big change mentally and emotionally after his match where he got majored by Porter. Still don't know why he doesn't shoot his sweep single more, but I've flogged that horse enough over the last several years. Big ups to Matt Brown making the finals after being a back up last year.

184: Ed Ruth. I don't know how verbose I can really be here because Ruth is just well and truly that good. Even last night in the finals he just looked so casual in all of his movement. Like others have said his finishing percentage once he's to a leg is ridiculous, other than Jordan Burroughs I haven't seen anyone better at finishing. Wondered if he would start cutting Hamlin a little earlier to try and steal a bonus point and give PSU some breathing room in the team score.

197: The only result of the night that really surprised me, I didn't expect Wright to be able to deal with Kilgore's power. His motion and his variety of attacks (other than Oliver he might have the most diverse offense in the country) were enough. I stand in awe of his Mental Weakness.

285: While a match where he rang up 3-4:00 in riding time would have been funny to me from a "hi haters" perspective I was just happy to see Tony win again. Still a little surprised he was able to get the win in the semi's just based on the overall flow of that match. I can't believe that Gelogaev tried to do the high school esque jump spin go behind.

125: Wondered if Nico was going to be able to ugly the match up enough to pull the win off but Delgado set his pace and eventually found that cradle. I've really come to enjoy watching Delgado wrestle this year.

133: It was interesting to see this match as a contrast to the 165 angle that ESPN spent the weekend pushing of "old friends" these guys (or maybe just Ramos given the taped promo that aired before the match) don't like each other. Match wise not a ton that I didn't really expect, Logan is still just the better wrestler.

141: Biggest thing coming out of here is just me having to confront the fact that yes Port is actually good. Maple did what he normally does against the better guys. He's just so explosive and so hard to move. Hard to imagine that he's only a junior. Will be interested to see if he's back at 141 next year.

149: Really going to miss watching Oliver wrestle folkstyle. So fun to watch on his feet. Whether it was him being banged up or Chamberlain being good (probably a combination of the two) this was a little tighter than I expected it to be. He did what he had to do with one of his multitude of techniques when he scored off that throw by to win it.

157: Got my attention there at the end when Welch found that takedown to tie the match up 2-2, but similar to 133 St. John is just the better guy.

165: While I continued to predict Taylor to eventually get one of these matches here you obviously can't not appreciate the magnitude of what Dake was able to accomplish last night. Without using the "G" word (retired since Russell graduated) maybe the best guy ever at doing whatever he had to do to win matches on big stages whether it was scoring a lot of points against guys he was significantly better than or getting his points where he had to and grinding down the top level guys. In my mind the second greatest collegiate wrestler of all time.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Default Re: Thoughts on Finals

Good write-up.

I feel like I'm "suffering" a bit from wrestling overload- was able to watch NCAA's on TV for the first time, as well as following Canadian Sr. Nationals and Europeans online. I'll offer my "Arm-Spin" awards before going on a bit of a hiatus from posting.

OW- Ruth. Watching him throw it into high gear to get the major was pretty cool. Like JensenS said, Burrough-like finishes. Bodes VERY well for a freestyle career. He got stomped at the trials last year, but I'm betting that won't happen much longer if he commits himself to freestyle. Go test yourself in the big pond please, mr Ruth!

Match of the night- Wright vs Kilgore, Great bout between two aggessive wrestlers. Wright had the perfect game plan using those under hook throw-byes straight into shots. Beautiful. Like Ruth, I hope he makes a dedicated run in freestyle, he's already had success. Weight-wise, could he make 84? The 133 lb match was great as well- Ramos was a bit psyched up and aggressive IMO and Logan took advantage, but then decided to make it interesting by just about pinning himself. The "Main Event" was good too- Dake just a bit better than Taylor.

Golden Pylon: St John (by a hair over Perry). Ugh 19 minutes of wrestling (semis and finals) with no takedown. I don't I've ever wished for a clinch before watching that.

I'll share my own, probably more biased, ideas:

174 I should have been happy with Brown at second, but I felt like he should have won, or more specifically Perry didn't do much of anything to win (you'll notice a trend here). I think the stalemate call was weak in OT, but not the worst call ever. I actually thought Perry was a senior (I kind of associate him with Wright since they had their freestyle meetings that had everyone saying Perry would dominate Wright). I think this is the most likely rematch next year, so maybe that is something to look forward to.

184 Ed Ruth may be the best wrestler in the tournament. I think that deserves it's own thread.

197 I agree with Shane. I felt Kilgore was the biggest favorite over any of the PSU guys. Th win was such a great finish for Wright's career, even more so that he really finished off Kilgore by repeatedly scoring on him. Awesome match.

HWT UGH! Tony deserved the win, but I HATE guys getting a win without generating any offense. I was hoping for Gelogaev and McMullen in the final so we could see the highest scoring match in HWT history. A guy can dream. Anyway, Tony looks like the clear favorite for another.

125 Going into the match, I thought Mega really might get the win in the rubber match, and through the beginning on the match, it seemed to be heading that way. With Delgado getting the win the way he did, I'm extra impressed. If he can win with his speed and with his scrambling ability, he is going to be super tough. At the beginning of the season, who would have thought that the guy who was looking nearly invincible at this weight would be Delgado not McD?

133 Logan impressed me with what he did to Ramos. It seems when he really wants the match, Ramos isn't as close as he/we thought. I see Ramos working all next year for the win, not getting it, and turning to VooDoo dolls for his senior year.

141 With Port being a hometown kid, I was excited to see him in the final. And as Shane said, he certainly looked like he deserved to be in the final. I didn't see their 14-11 match, so it was hard to picture that given how this match went. I think Maple will be in the final next year, I kinda hope for Port that he is at 149. Port is close though, and he makes me think that Tim Flynn is a good coach.

149 I was thrilled that JO got the win. He certainly is a guy that should go down as a multiple champ. Assuming the injury rumors are true, I think a healthy JO would have gotten bonus, and the TD he got was the only flash of what he can really do. I got the feeling that he decided to open up a little, but made sure he controlled the match knowing he would get the late TD when he wanted it.

157 As a fan of Welch and a St. John unfan, I'll say congrats to him for the win. By the end of the match, I felt that Welch is good, but not quite good enough to get win, even in kind of a down weight. Congrats to St. John for a really good ride, good win for him.

165 The best part of the match was I finally figured out why I don't like Dake. Before that, a huge congrats to him for going 4 for 4. The match just about lived up to the hype, and the mat wrestling between the two of them was outstanding. For Dake to turn Taylor's usually greatest strength into a a source of points speaks to how good Dake. Well done.
    Now why I don't like him and it took me 3.99 years to figure it out. With as good as Dake is, he should absolutely demolish people. Taylor pinned his other 4 guys while Dake got through the same weight class with two majors and two 3 point matches, including one in the first round against a guy who shouldn't touch him. If you have been watching their interviews since the conference championships, it has become clear - Ed Ruth loves to wrestle: Kyle Dake loves to win. Well, he gets my vote for the best winner.

"Wondered if he would start cutting Hamlin a little earlier to try and steal a bonus point and give PSU some breathing room in the team score."

PSU bonus points were moot after Perry didn't pin Brown.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

174 I should have been happy with Brown at second, but I felt like he should have won, or more specifically Perry didn't do much of anything to win (you'll notice a trend here). I think the stalemate call was weak in OT, but not the worst call ever. I actually thought Perry was a senior (I kind of associate him with Wright since they had their freestyle meetings that had everyone saying Perry would dominate Wright). I think this is the most likely rematch next year, so maybe that is something to look forward to.

Down in the Denver area for work and stayed the weekend to visit sister and her husband. Brother-in-law is a Hawkeye fan so you can imagine how much I had to stifle my exuberance....thankfully we weren't around eachother during the Storely / Evans match on Friday. But I digress.....

Right before the 174 match last night I turned to B-I-L and said "Watch how mutch Brown grabs the oppositions headgear!" Match starts and right away you see Perry step away from clinches to adjust his headgear. Cut to later in the match and Brown essentially pulls on it so much that he yanks out the strap on the non-snap end. Any potential that this gets "noted" by the referee's and they watch for it next year?

Doesn't seem like I'm breaking new ground here, but thought it was interesting that we can now predict it will happen. Is this a potential penalty point in extreme occurances?

Great breakdown JensenS. In regards to the finals, would like to see them incorporate a variation of the entrances Dake & Taylor got for all matches but I get why they only did one last night. It was just a bummer seeing the guys there on the mat coming back from commercial each time until 165. Always dug the crane shot of Robles coming in and the like.

As Blue said, here are my own, extremely biased opinions:

174 - Perry did nothing... except what he had to to win. Frustrating but kudos to him. Brown impressed the hell out of me, not just in this match but throughout the whole tournament. Nice to see him shut his doubters the hell up.
    184 - Ed being Ed. His takedowns seem so effortless, glad he got the major, only finals match to have bonus.
    197 - Best match of the night IMO. Everyone and their brother had Kilgore winning this. Q looked so relaxed and just brought it. Anyone notice Kilgore's expression change from "I got this" to "WTF??" after Q's second takedown? Great win to finish out a great career. Also loved that his match was the one to clinch it for PSU.
    HWT - McMullen was a gamer, Nelson is just too strong.
    125 - Jensen wrote that Delgado set his own pace but I completely disagree, I thought Nico set the pace the entire match and had Delgado on his heels. The way the match was developing I really thought Nico was going to take it but then he found himself at the losing end of a scramble and that was that. What really impressed me about Delgado was how many "sure" takedowns he was able to scramble out of.
    133 - Stieber is just the man. The only way he loses to Ramos is if he does something stupid, like he did to almost get himself pinned. I thought there should have been back points there but I also thought it wouldn't have made a difference, Stieber is on another level IMO.
    141 - Port gave it a nice go but in the end just too much talent from Maple. How sweet was that 1st period takedown?
    149 - Just hearing now that JO may have been injured (anyone know for sure?) so that may explain why he was so tentative or maybe Chamberlain is that good. Like Jensen said I think it's a combo of both. That throw by to clinch the match was awesome. Great career for JO.
    157 - Really wanted Welch to finally break through against DSJ, and thought he might for a second, but St John just has his number.
    165 - GOAT? Anyone who can ride Taylor like Dake did deserves some consideration. Seemed like Taylor felt the pressure a little more in the 3rd and tried to rush his escape with rolls instead of methodically working his way out like he normally does. Completely different match if he gets out just a few seconds earlier but that's the way it goes, or maybe that's just the way Dake dictated it. Great match by him coming back like he did and taking Taylor down. An incredible champion, he deserves all the praise he receives.

Great run by Oklahoma State in the consi's to scare the hell out of every Penn Stater. Especially with 4 of the 5 PSU finalists being underdogs, the title looked to be slipping away. Then Q came to the rescue and all was good. My favorite wrestler to watch, he just loves to wrestle and isn't afraid to go for it, thanks for everything Q!

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    197: The only result of the night that really surprised me, I didn't expect Wright to be able to deal with Kilgore's power. His motion and his variety of attacks (other than Oliver he might have the most diverse offense in the country) were enough. I stand in awe of his Mental Weakness.
    Ha! Great rewind... QW was awesome in the finals and just seemed amazingly relaxed and confident in the finals against Killer.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    165 The best part of the match was I finally figured out why I don't like Dake. Before that, a huge congrats to him for going 4 for 4. The match just about lived up to the hype, and the mat wrestling between the two of them was outstanding. For Dake to turn Taylor's usually greatest strength into a a source of points speaks to how good Dake. Well done.
    Now why I don't like him and it took me 3.99 years to figure it out. With as good as Dake is, he should absolutely demolish people. Taylor pinned his other 4 guys while Dake got through the same weight class with two majors and two 3 point matches, including one in the first round against a guy who shouldn't touch him. If you have been watching their interviews since the conference championships, it has become clear - Ed Ruth loves to wrestle: Kyle Dake loves to win. Well, he gets my vote for the best winner.
    Even though I tend to agree with you, did you notice the fact that Dake led the nations in pins this year?

Rip gyro!!!!
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.