Thread: You may want to read this

Default You may want to read this

Some of you know and some of you may not know, but I recently got a job as a freelance writer for thewrestlingmall.com. It is an honor and a privilage to write for such a renouned and prestigious website, and I love doing it dearly. As time has gone by, I've found that some articles are an absolute pleasure and others are quite stressfull.

The ones that have been very enjoyable are the ones where I was called back or emailed back and got to conduct interviews with wrestlers/coaches. May I be the first to say that Coach Spates of Oklahoma is a class act all the way. I've always been a fan of Spates and the Oklahoma Sooners, but I'll be cheering for them a little more this year. Not only did Spates take the time to stick to business on the interviews I've conducted with him, but he also took the time to just to visit with me on this upcoming season. I interviewed him for the "Where are they Now Article" I did on former Sooner Witt Durden. A pleasure to talk with, as are many wrestlers/coaches.

The problem I'm running into lately is that wrestlers/coaches tell me they'd be more than happy to do an interview for thewrestlingmall.com and then I can never get a hold of them. I'm not mad or anything. I realize that people are extremely busy and in some cases perhaps they'd rather not be in the eye of the media. However, this does cause me a delimma.

I interviewed 3 of 4 people for an article I wanted to do on Religion in Wrestling. The fourth person, said that he'd be more than happy to do an interview and had me email him some questions. About a month went by and I never recieved anything back. Come to find out, it had slipped his mind and he was away and couldn't answer them now. It's no big deal really. He's getting married and has other endevours. I told him no big deal and that I hoped him the best in his future. He's a great guy and I do not think any the less of him for making a very minor mistake of forgetting about an interview.

However, I know or at least feel that maybe the other 3 guys, that took the time out of their day to be interviewed might feel that I'm unprofessional because I interviewed them all about a month and a half ago and haven't been able to write the article yet.

I want to avoid circumstances like this if I can, and I think the best way to perhaps do that is to instead of me going after stories, maybe to try and let stories come to me.

So, here's why you read all of that

If you are a former wrestler/coach and would like your wrestling story to be told by thewrestlingmall.com in a "Where Are They Now" article please feel free to email me at itsallforu@hotmail.com Give me a phone number if you'd like to do an interview via phone or ask me to email you questions. Either way works good for me.

Also, if you know of anyone that would like to be interviewed for articles, let me know. I know a lot of wrestlers and coaches would love to get more media coverage and I want to help them to do that.

Thanks for your time guys

Stephen "Johnnythompsonnum1" Stonebraker
    "Within all of us there burns a passion of fire. Forever feel the heat from the flames of your desire"

Default Re: You may want to read this

congrats JT1 and its reknowned, not renouned for your future articles...thank god for spellcheck.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    congrats JT1 and its reknowned, not renouned for your future articles...thank god for spellcheck.
    Actually bud, we were both wrong. It's Renowned.
    "Within all of us there burns a passion of fire. Forever feel the heat from the flames of your desire"

thats what i said...renowned...lol
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

I don't know if you taking suggestions for ideas, but for Where are they now?, I'd like to hear about Mike Caruso, 3Xer from Lehigh in the 60's. You know, a kinda retrospective ala Archie "Doc" Graham in Field of Dreams.

Another, I think an article on Chris Campbell, U Iowa, 70's, about being the oldest Olympic competitor and his work in law.

Just some ideas even though you'll need some good legs to hunt them down.