Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jensen's NCAA Tournament Predictions

Default Re: Jensen's NCAA Tournament Predictions

It happens all the time. People have bad conference tournaments and come back and make big, surprising runs. Alton is set up for a big run with a draw where the best guys on his side of the bracket are guys that he has a great record against. of course, it could end up being one of those "so obvious everyone picks it, so of course it doesn't happen" things.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    I understand that Alton has fared well against people on his side of the bracket but I can't help but be puzzled by everyone picking him to get to the finals. He lost three matches last week. I don't think he is trending in the right direction to crash the finals
    It could be that one doesn't want to just follow the seeds, and if you're going to pick a lower seed to come through, D Alton isn't a bad pick for a #8 seed, for the reasons you stated.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    I understand that Alton has fared well against people on his side of the bracket but I can't help but be puzzled by everyone picking him to get to the finals. He lost three matches last week. I don't think he is trending in the right direction to crash the finals
    He had a bad tournament. He didn't become a bad wrestler. I don't believe in "momentum" all that much. If he was hurt, I'd have pause, but he just didn't do great. Maybe he'll do awful, but he will have to lose to someone he's not really struggled with historically.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Enjoyed your write-up Shane. We'll have to get you a less demanding job next year so you can come out again with mid-summer, pre-season, mid-season and pre-tourney write-ups!

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    How do you see the Ness v Chamberlain semi going? I struggled with that one.
    I mean I'm obviously going to have trouble going away from Ness given my team allegiances, but I really like the way that he's been wrestling in the last month.

Ton of confidence
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    I mean I'm obviously going to have trouble going away from Ness given my team allegiances, but I really like the way that he's been wrestling in the last month.

Ton of confidence
    I just don't think he can spot Chamberlain 3-4 points doing something crazy and think it's going to pay off. He's not that dude.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

I think Ness could have won 157 this year easier than 149. Oliver & Chamberlain are tough match-ups for Ness (short/quick/technical guys that finish shots quickly)

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    I just don't think he can spot Chamberlain 3-4 points doing something crazy and think it's going to pay off. He's not that dude.
    That's my one worry, but he spent most of last year doing crazy stuff and then dramatically cleaned up his wrestling when he beat Parks and Nauman (Neither of whom are as good as Chamberlain this year, but still) en route to the finals.

1. #2 David Taylor (Penn State)
    2. #1 Kyle Dake (Cornell)
    3. #3 Tyler Caldwell (Oklahoma State)
    4. #4 Peter Yates (Virginia Tech)
    5. #5 Steven Monk (North Dakota State)
    6. #6 Bubby Graham (Oklahoma)
    7. #12 Taylor Massa (Michigan)
    8. #8 Nick Sulzer (Virginia)
    R12. US Michael Moreno (Iowa State), #11 Cody Yohn (Minnesota), #7 Conrad Polz (Illinois), #10 Nick Moore (Iowa)

Semi's: Dake v. Caldwell, Yates v. Taylor
    R12: Moreno v. Monk, Yohn v. Sulzer, Massa v. Polz, Moore v. Graham

Been picking Taylor in their matches all year, not going to stop here with this one. I think he gets him this time.

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

1. #6 Logan Storley (Minnesota)
    2. #1 Chris Perry (Oklahoma State)
    3. #2 Matt Brown (Penn State)
    4. #3 Mike Evans (Iowa)
    5. #4 Robert Kokesh (Nebraska)
    6. #5 Josh Asper (Maryland)
    7. #7 Jordan Blanton (Illinois)
    8. US Lee Munster (Northwestern)
    R12. #8 Nick Heflin (Ohio State), US Greg Zannetti (Rutgers), US Bryce Hammond (Cal State Bakersfield), US Todd Porter (Missouri)

Semi's: Perry v. Kokesh, Storley v. Brown
    R12: Heflin v. Asper, Munster v. Zannetti, Hammond v. Blanton, Porter v. Evans

Like vais, I think Storley is the best guy here. Just had a bad tournament last weekend.