Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rob Koll? What is he saying?

Default Re: Rob Koll? What is he saying?

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Other than Iowa fans who still don't like him for ripping them for not coming to National Duals, I wasn't aware of anyone who really disliked Koll.
    He's been a hero of mine ever since , and it doesn't hurt that his dad is among the greatest UNI wrestlers of all time.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    He's been a hero of mine ever since , and it doesn't hurt that his dad is among the greatest UNI wrestlers of all time.
    Only, it wasn't called UNI back then. Did you know that they made the illegal slam rule because of Bill Koll?

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    Only, it wasn't called UNI back then. Did you know that they made the illegal slam rule because of Bill Koll?
    Yes, it was the Iowa State Teacher's College in those days, which is one of four names that the school has had since its inception. I completed my graduate school at UNI and have, minus two years, lived in Cedar Falls ever since.

I didn't know that the move was made illegal by Koll, but the legend of the guy's meanness in Cedar Falls is well known and regularly talked about. He actually later became the head coach at UNI too. Every picture that I've ever seen of him, he looks like he'd rather take your head off than have to talk to you!
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    Agree. It used to be a lot more entertaining to watch before the best 2 out of 3 period format, back when you could watch Americans break Russians in the 3rd period. The current rules are fancy and take a good deal of the conditioning and toughness factors out of the matches.

That said, I also agree that there would be catastrophic backlash if we all of a sudden decided to switch to freestyle, but I don't think that is even possible. I think the vast majority of folk style wrestlers would roll their eyes/shrug their shoulders and then keep doing what they are doing.

i think the "lack of conditioning" argument (when compared to FS before the period change) is a bit overblown. Yes, it's easier to wrestle 4 min than 5 or 6, and it's easier to have more breaks. However, under the current rules there is very little time spent going in an out of bounds, virtually no injury time outs, adn not much time spend on the ground- it's all standing wrestling. I wrestled under the current rules quite a bit and found I got just as tired- maybe more in a 6 min match- as under the old rules.

At the international level, the tournaments are very fast, so conditioning really is important. I would list Aldatov, Urishev, Gayzumov, Makhov as wreslters who lost largely due to exhaustion at the Olympics. Gayzumov was carried away on a stretcher

Herkey; I think it would be possible for Americans to adopt freestyle-type scoring for college, without adopting FILA's best-of-3 format all on that. (Ie you could have a 7 minute, cumulative match with freestyle scoring). However, the new head of FILA wants to change the rules again to simplify them. Some people have suggested this means going back to some incarnation of the old rules.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    i think the "lack of conditioning" argument (when compared to FS before the period change) is a bit overblown. Yes, it's easier to wrestle 4 min than 5 or 6, and it's easier to have more breaks. However, under the current rules there is very little time spent going in an out of bounds, virtually no injury time outs, adn not much time spend on the ground- it's all standing wrestling. I wrestled under the current rules quite a bit and found I got just as tired- maybe more in a 6 min match- as under the old rules.

At the international level, the tournaments are very fast, so conditioning really is important. I would list Aldatov, Urishev, Gayzumov, Makhov as wreslters who lost largely due to exhaustion at the Olympics. Gayzumov was carried away on a stretcher

Herkey; I think it would be possible for Americans to adopt freestyle-type scoring for college, without adopting FILA's best-of-3 format all on that. (Ie you could have a 7 minute, cumulative match with freestyle scoring). However, the new head of FILA wants to change the rules again to simplify them. Some people have suggested this means going back to some incarnation of the old rules.
    Maybe it is just my perception that conditioning is of lesser importance now, but it seems obvious that if you have a wrestler who is better skilled against a wrestler who is better conditioned, the better skilled wrestler will be able to go much harder in the first 2 periods to try to win those, thereby eliminating the need for the last two minutes. As we all know, things can change and big scores can happen very quickly in the third period once one of the wrestlers is gassed. I also love the intensity of the third period in a hard fought match. There are a few things I like about the current rules but I will always think that matches should have 3 periods unless someone is pinned.

I have no great hatred for Rob Koll, but I think his statements pointed out by vais are off-base. One of the biggest selling points of wrestling at other levels are the Olympics.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    Yes, it was the Iowa State Teacher's College in those days, which is one of four names that the school has had since its inception. I completed my graduate school at UNI and have, minus two years, lived in Cedar Falls ever since.

I didn't know that the move was made illegal by Koll, but the legend of the guy's meanness in Cedar Falls is well known and regularly talked about. He actually later became the head coach at UNI too. Every picture that I've ever seen of him, he looks like he'd rather take your head off than have to talk to you!
    When I was at PSU he used to refer to himself with a big smile, smoking his cigar as a "SOB"--"Sweet Old Bill". Sometimes the standard meaning of SOB seemed to fit better. But he was a very successful coach and I have no complaints.

What Zapp said.

Terry Brands talks about Koll's comments (among many others) in his epic interview on flowrestling. Brands is flabbergasted, and says something to the extent of "Koll thinks guys like Dake don't care about the Olympics? WTF?"

Oldfart, if you are talking about 3 period freestyle matches, you are going back a long ways... in my time there's been 1x5 min periods, 2x3 min periods, and now 3x2 min periods. Though I think in the 70's they hade 3x3 minute periods. That would be pretty tough to wrestle IMO,

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Other than Iowa fans who still don't like him for ripping them for not coming to National Duals, I wasn't aware of anyone who really disliked Koll.
    For some reason I see a lot of PSU fans posting negative things about him as well. I'm starting to think this is all in my head. For the record, I don't have much issue with him. I was just wondering if I'm crazy and it appears that that answer is yes.