Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Injuries" at National Duals.

Default Re: "Injuries" at National Duals.

Tom, I agree with the idea, I just wonder if each school has the resources to study all of the data for all of the weights? Seeding is a nightmare already without throwing those situations into the mix. I guess it's possible, but not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    DC--I don't know if we're talking about the same thing or not. I was agreeing with Herkey that missing duals (even if you're sick or hurt) would count against your record at seeding time. No judgment is being made whether they were truly sick/injured or ducking. The oft-stated case in point, would be that this year Ramos would get seeded #1 at B1G's instead of Stieber, because they're both undefeated in B1G and Ramos showed up for the dual. The goal would be to force wrestlers that truly can compete in duals to do so. I don't think any right-thinking coach would send out a significantly injured wrestler just to try to protect his seed--he would be risking a season-ending injury which would be far worse!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Cutter View Post
    Tom, I agree with the idea, I just wonder if each school has the resources to study all of the data for all of the weights? Seeding is a nightmare already without throwing those situations into the mix. I guess it's possible, but not likely.
    Seeding 12 weights is going to have some challenges and some errors may be made. But the alternative would mean you could have 2 top 8 guys meeting in the first round, which doesn't seem fair or right.

Ducking sucks, but I don't like the idea of only seeding 4. It is bad for the fans, but it happens in every sport when there is nothing to gain by winning and more to lose by losing.

Back to the first principle: how do you justify penalizing someone who is sick or injured. Are you going to form some kind of committee to look at his med records to see if the sick/injured claim is legit? It may be annoying but there is no way to stop it. Coaches want to win duals, and have their kids be individually successful. If you reallly think that you've been shafted, stop goign to matches and let the AD know why and if you think that a match that you wanted ot see was called off for no legit money demand the price of the ticket back.............
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by TLV View Post
    Back to the first principle: how do you justify penalizing someone who is sick or injured. Are you going to form some kind of committee to look at his med records to see if the sick/injured claim is legit? It may be annoying but there is no way to stop it. Coaches want to win duals, and have their kids be individually successful. If you reallly think that you've been shafted, stop goign to matches and let the AD know why and if you think that a match that you wanted ot see was called off for no legit money demand the price of the ticket back.............
    I don't think that you're penalizing someone for being sick or injured as much as you are rewarding someone for being able to run the gauntlet of a college season while staying healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

I guess I'm just old and set in my ways yet i used to love wrestling studs! i lost 90% of the time yet I always showed up -and the other 10% more than made up for the losses ! Plus , I used to have kids move up to face tougher guys ! IMO, all wrestlers are going to lose at some point-(consider that a 99.9% given )i.e.-who'd have thought Porter would major Perry ? So WHY duck a guy ? All it does is 2 things-piss off the fans and make you look like a pussy !
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Russ, I love your attitude. I know how you feel- I had a lot of flaws as a competitor, but avoiding competition wasn't one of them. This stuff happens internationally (where they don't even seed tournaments) too. At the world cup, Goudrazi's coach wouldn't let him wrestle Burroughs. (Also, Varner sat out and no one seems to know why).

At a time when wrestling is struggling to prove it's relevance to the IOC and world community, this stuff needs to stop. Sports fans love best on best competition. Wrestling- at all levels- should be looking to match up the best as often as possible. Can you imagine if they had Burroughs wrestle the Japanese (66 kg) and Azeri (84 kg) Olympic champions in exhibitions at a world cup type event?

Looks like Brad Smith didn't want McCormick wrestling against Ramos this weekend. This is the type of crap that has to be cut from wrestling. It doesn't do the sport any good and I highly doubt McCormick was hurt. He seemed fine in his other matches last weekend. Brad Smith was simply playing the seeding card.

It's Brian Smith, Chop. Since you highly doubt it, that must make it true, huh? McCormick and Smith don't duck or play seeding games. Period. I know them both personally. He's dinged up.