Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Injuries" at National Duals.

Default Re: "Injuries" at National Duals.

Quote Originally Posted by WhippetGrappler View Post
    So are you saying Logan should be punished for being injured??? He missed 3 matches. 2 on that weekend and then one the next weekend.
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that Logan ducked Ramos. We are simply pointing out that this type of problem needs to be confronted. I don't think it really matters at 133 this year but at other weights it does. The point we are making is wrestling needs more fans and people paid money to watch Streebler vs Ramos and left with a bad taste in their mouth. At any other weight seeding is really important and I think if you miss duals you need to pay during seeding at your conference meet. Look at BJ Futrell this year and tell me what seed he deserves at the Big 10's? What happened at NWCA I can almost bet is seed protection at the NCAA tourny. It is complete BS and needs to be stopped soon. Kind of funny how a guy is "sick" or "hurt" for 1 match.

Quote Originally Posted by WhippetGrappler View Post
    So are you saying Logan should be punished for being injured??? He missed 3 matches. 2 on that weekend and then one the next weekend.
    WG,
    Of course not !! Logi wouldn't duck Godzilla -do i think Moore ducked Green ? YES ! NCAA seeding now will show Moore with a 1-0 record over Green and subsequently get seeded above Green .
    Don't punish the wrestlers , punish the coaches and the program !
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

The problem with punishing this type of offense is that accusing someone of not being sick or not being injured is a very touchy subject. You certainly don't want the kids competing if they are not 100 percent or at risk of aggravating an injury. I think one could make a very strong case that kids were obviously ducking at the NWCA'S. Either that or there were a lot of miracles, as many of those kids competed just two hrs later.

I agree wholeheartedly that it is a problem, I just don't know how you fairly and safely mete out punishments.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    your last sentence pretty much sums up a lot of today's problems with college wrestling ! The average fan who showed to watch Ramos/Steibler would have been pissed , left and never returned , yet the coaches get away with guys ducking one another as long as die hard fans stay and keep coming back for more !
    IF fans would (i.e.-boycott the next dual after a ducking incident ) i'd bet this crap would stop. College wrestling's fan base is not growing-just growing older (like me )-after watching the high school state tournament over the weekend I actually saw passion and coaching going on .
    This hasn't worked for Indiana Russ. I can't imagine anyone shows up to those meets

I agree that ducking is going to take place, but every coach's main objective is to put his wrestlers in the best position to place at Nationals. I will practically guarantee, that there will be guys held out of the Big 12 DUAL tourney, when the NCAA qualifying tourney is the next day with the same 4 teams.

You can expect even more ducking if they keep pushing this dual format. You see the best in all the wrestlers in an individual tournament. Lets face it, wrestling is an individual sport, and thats why we love it. There is no way to enforce a penalty for ducking an opponent. if its a dual and the team does not need the points for one match, they won't wrestle their guy. Enough of this long drawn out national duals, if they're going to keep shoving it down our throats make in one place, one weekend, two days, last team standing wins. I would be glued to that.

"Protecting your seed" is going to happen until it's no longer "protecting your seed" to sit out. The rule needs to be that if you miss a match, no matter what the reason, your seed it affected. It sucks for people who's injuries or sicknesses are legit but it's what needs to be done. The people ducking competition have ruined it for everyone else.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    This hasn't worked for Indiana Russ. I can't imagine anyone shows up to those meets
    Other than family and friends of the wrestlers IU averages about 50 fans per dual.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    "Protecting your seed" is going to happen until it's no longer "protecting your seed" to sit out. The rule needs to be that if you miss a match, no matter what the reason, your seed it affected. It sucks for people who's injuries or sicknesses are legit but it's what needs to be done. The people ducking competition have ruined it for everyone else.
    I think I have to agree with you on this one, Herkey. No one thinks that Stieber was ducking Ramos. And personally I hate to see Stieber penalized for being hurt. But Stieber is good enough to defend his title no matter what seed he gets. Something does have to be done to stop all this ducking (Bradley vs Z was another good recent example--at least as far as I know it sounded like ducking). If you don't wrestle a guy, you're giving the other guy the advantage in seeding. In football teams have guys hurt and it affects the results. It's unfortunate, but it's a part of sports.