Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51213141516 LastLast

Thread: PSU vs Iowa Dual

Default Re: PSU vs Iowa Dual

Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    well, I ran out of Glenmorangie halfway through the meet so the question is whether to endure the insufferable Iowa fans or perchance to experience the newly discovered two year old PSU fans.
    Don't ignore the option of getting more Glenmorangie.

Congrats to Iowa. They had the mental toughness to win the close ones and got the most out of their bonus point opportunities. Granted Ramos and Ballweg wrestled against unranked wrestlers, but they both looked awfully good manhandling their competetion. I'd give Ramos a decent chance of beating Stieber based on Stieber's injury this year and Ramos' dominance all year long. Taylor and Ruth are takedown machines - looking like cats playing with a ball of yarn - that was a lot of fun to watch.

Thanks to all the athletes who competed tonight. I was looking forward to this dual all week and it was amazing and still exceeded my expectations.

My congrats as well to the Iowa faithful. A great meet for Iowa and you deserved to win. Will only make the B1G's and NCAA's even more interesting. Your guys came to wrestle and they did what they had to.

The highlight for me was definitely the first match. I think McDonough is an outstanding wrestler, obviously not just this year, but college HOF type. This is the first match where I felt Mega had a real shot at winning. Throughout, I felt Mega was wrestling him even, maybe even looking better at times.

Coming into this, I thought 125 was a unlikely win for PSU. At BigTens and NCAA's, I think it is truly a toss up.

I have to say I am disappointed in A Alton (despite the major). DA is there and just needs to finish a tiny bit better. Brown needs to continue getting college matches in and improve his skills to go with his head control. Until then, guys will continue to pick him apart when he leaves himself open.

Wow what a Friday night. Carver was epic again last night and I was blessed to be in attendance. I didn't see many PSU fans around, but we did have 3 PSU fans right in front of us. Those 3 looked to have a great time and mentioned how cool Carver is. Of course they were lucky as the offical attendance was 15,077 and it got really loud after Ramos recorded the fall. Now to the important part. Here is my post dual response for each weight.

125- Like I thought McD gutted out a W. I think Nico wrestled well but I think he knows he can't scramble with McD. Nico is still 0 for trying to take McD down. I do think Nico looked good last night but McD was just a bit better. I spoke with someone extremely close to McD before the dual and confirmed he was really having a tough time making the cut this year. It sounds like he is feeling better and better but make no mistake this cut has been hard for him. I think McD is looking better shape wise and will only improve as we inch closer to Big's and NCAA's. I have a feeling this may have been Nico's only shot at McD this year and he came up short. I predict Delgado beats Nico Sunday and in the semi's at Big's. Should be a fun weight to watch regardless the rest of the year.

133- My man Ramos is a beast! Not much to say other than he is just killing it this year. Can't wait for the Big's final between him and Streebler. Should be a barn burner. I thought bonus was going to happen but not in the form of a Fall. Really hard spot for Conaway to be in but hey that is what Tony needed to do for the team.

141- Great job by Ballweg. I thought bonus was going to happen and I was correct. People are sleeping on Ballweg which is a mistake. Pearsall was just out matched last night.

149- Better showing my A. Alton last night. The entire time all I could think is Alton would completely gas out in the 3rd and Brody would close the gap to a Dec. Alton didn't completely gas and kept on the offense the entire match. Nice match by Alton in a hostile arena.

157- I was a bit off on this match. I didn't see D. Alton getting a TD against DSJ. DSJ did a great job of staying the course and getting the final TD to seal the deal. D. Alton is good but I feel he struck some luck getting that TD against DSJ. This should be another great match if they meet at Big's. I think Green, D. Alton and DSJ all have a chance to win Big's. More than likely DSJ gets the 1 seed which means D. Alton and Green battle it out in the semi's.

165- Not much to say here other than what everybody knows. Taylor man handles anyone not named Kyle Dake. Moore was completely out matched. I really dislike Taylor but he was a class act in his post match interview. Cudos to you Mr. Taylor and good luck the rest of the year.

174- Man what a cluster the Big's will be at 174. I mean really are we going to just flip a coin for a favorite? This might be the best weight class ever in 1 conference. I thought Brown was going to pull the last TD to end the match but Evans showed his guts and will to win. I don't think this should have been as close as the score ended although. Evans needs to finish those 1st period shots and QUIT giving away cheap reversals. Brown was solid and in good shape the entire match. He keeps that square stance and fights well with his hands. Evans needs to figure out how to get Brown out of position and Brown will need to get more active on his feet. Should be an epic battle at Big's between all these guys.

184- Wow Gambrall took Ed down! Hahaha. Ed is in my opinion the best wrestler in the country right now. Does anyone know who wins between Taylor and Ruth? I think Ruth could own him as he is just better all around. I like Ed and of course never thought Gambrall or Lofty stood a remote shot. Ruth deserves more credit but DT is the poster child for PSU wrestling. Great match Ed and good luck.

197- Not much to say here other than it finished how I thought it would. Burak is coming on and stays in good position which is a must against Q. Q was really wanting the spladel last night but to Burak's credit he stay out of it. Q wrestled a good match, but like I said Burak is just to technical on his feet to allow Q the big move. Should be fun watching Burak from here on out. He will suprise people at NCAA's and just may enter the round of 12 discussions.

285- Bobby T!!!! Great job and hopefully it is a sign of good things to come. I am not sure how good Gingrich is but Bob wrestled really well last night. If he can improve off that match he will get back in AA contention.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    184- Wow Gambrall took Ed down! Hahaha. Ed is in my opinion the best wrestler in the country right now. Does anyone know who wins between Taylor and Ruth? I think Ruth could own him as he is just better all around. I like Ed and of course never thought Gambrall or Lofty stood a remote shot. Ruth deserves more credit but DT is the poster child for PSU wrestling. Great match Ed and good luck.
    I'll bet Ruth wins too, but I'm willing to bet that it has more to do with the fact that he's 20 pounds heavier rather than him being better everywhere.
    My name's Louden, Louden Swain. Last week I turned 18. I wasn't ready for it. I haven't done anything yet. So I made this deal with myself. This is the year I make my mark.

[165- Not much to say here other than what everybody knows. Taylor man handles anyone not named Kyle Dake. Moore was completely out matched. I really dislike Taylor but he was a class act in his post match interview. Cudos to you Mr. Taylor and good luck the rest of the year.

Why in the world do you dislike DT? He wrestles like he's from Iowa........full speed for 7 minutes.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

For better or worse, I think Burak was well coached and told to tie up Q's wrist. I got to the point where I was waiting for the stall call on him - I didn't see any attempt at offense from that tie, and he had it for what seemed like 2+ minutes throughout the match. Even better would have been Q not giving up his wrist every damn time...

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    285- Bobby T!!!! Great job and hopefully it is a sign of good things to come. I am not sure how good Gingrich is but Bob wrestled really well last night. If he can improve off that match he will get back in AA contention.
    Not to bash my own guy, but I feel like he is two different wrestlers-
    The A- wrestler: Against good guys who let him slow down the pace and get a really solid counter takedown late, he can wrestle really well (Indiana, Michigan State).
    The B- wrestler: Outside of that, he'll beat up on the mediocre guys, but the solid ones will handle him pretty easily, as we saw Telford do.

The best thing Telford did was keep up the pace early and get the first TD. Gingrich is strong enough to wear down a guy and also gains confidence later in the match, so getting up on him early seems to be the recipe to success. As an Iowa fan, I'd be happy that Telford got on him early and did what he should have done, but I don't think it much of a barometer for how ready Telford is for the top tier guys.