Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 27
Discuss Did any of the all-time great teams...? at the College Wrestling within the Wrestling Talk Forums; Did any of the all-time great teams outscore the collective all-stars at nationals? What I ...
  1. #1
    Redshirt DrFeelNice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    55

    Default Did any of the all-time great teams...?

    Did any of the all-time great teams outscore the collective all-stars at nationals? What I mean is, say you took one of the great squads of history (like the record setting '80s Iowa or mid '00s 5-champ Okie State) that distanced themselves from the field outscore every other team combined? That is, if you took the top point scorer from every weight class and scored it against (for example) the Cowboys squads that featured Scott, Thompson, Espo, Hendricks, Lewis, Pendleton, Rosholt, and Mocco, is there any year where the top team outscored the college all-stars?
    Last edited by DrFeelNice; 01-07-2013 at 07:08 PM.

  2. #2
    AA oldfart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Finger Lakes
    Posts
    665

    Default Re: Did any of the all-time great teams...?

    huh?

  3. #3
    Redshirt
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    195

    Default Re: Did any of the all-time great teams...?

    Pretty clear what he's saying. Has there ever been a team that's basically beaten the field. If you added up all the points for Okie State and their 5 champs, and then the other 5 wrestlers and added up the points of the highest place finishers at every single weight that WASN'T from Okie State, who had more points? Has there ever been a year where a single team had more points than "the field," so to speak. I don't know, it seems like he explained it better personally. That's an interesting question. It'd be curious to see if it's ever happened. Amazing how dominant Oklahoma State was the year you're talking about. I was out at the D-1's that year. Just an amazing performance.
    "The true and present danger to America is conservatism!" -Abraham Lincoln

  4. #4
    AA
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Conowingo, MD
    Posts
    539

    Default Re: Did any of the all-time great teams...?

    The allstars would have had 5 second place finishes and 5 champions, so to answer your question, no it's not possible.



    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger84 View Post
    Pretty clear what he's saying. Has there ever been a team that's basically beaten the field. If you added up all the points for Okie State and their 5 champs, and then the other 5 wrestlers and added up the points of the highest place finishers at every single weight that WASN'T from Okie State, who had more points? Has there ever been a year where a single team had more points than "the field," so to speak. I don't know, it seems like he explained it better personally. That's an interesting question. It'd be curious to see if it's ever happened. Amazing how dominant Oklahoma State was the year you're talking about. I was out at the D-1's that year. Just an amazing performance.

  5. #5
    Round of 12 dback_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    412

    Default Re: Did any of the all-time great teams...?

    If youre going to do that analysis you have to look at the 1997 Iowa wrestling team. They hold the team points record and was probably the greatest team of all time. And, no they would not have beaten the field. Without a bad decision/split second decision by Mena to take up against Eric G. Iowa has 6 Champions that year. That still wouldnt have beaten the field.

  6. #6
    Olympic Champ Flop The Nuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,469

    Default Re: Did any of the all-time great teams...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Cutter View Post
    The allstars would have had 5 second place finishes and 5 champions, so to answer your question, no it's not possible.
    This is all you need to know, I don't understand how the question can even be asked.

  7. #7
    AA oldfart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Finger Lakes
    Posts
    665

    Default Re: Did any of the all-time great teams...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Cutter View Post
    The allstars would have had 5 second place finishes and 5 champions, so to answer your question, no it's not possible.
    Alright, I guess I get it now. It would have to be a dominant, dominant performance as 1) the majority of the team would have to win championships ans 2) the rest of the guys would likely need to AA high and/or pin a ton of guys.

    If someone has the time and will to actually do the math, it would be interesting to see how the aforementioned Iowa and OK State teams did relative to the rest of the field.

  8. #8
    ODH
    ODH is offline
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Did any of the all-time great teams...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Cutter View Post
    The allstars would have had 5 second place finishes and 5 champions, so to answer your question, no it's not possible.
    Hypothetically I guess it could happen with lots of bonus points by the champs and high places plus bonus points by everyone else.
    Last edited by ODH; 01-08-2013 at 04:12 PM.

  9. #9
    Olympic Champ Flop The Nuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,469

    Default Re: Did any of the all-time great teams...?

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Hypothetically I guess it could happen with lots of bonus points by the chaps and high plces plus bonus points by everyone else.
    Those chaps would have to be jolly good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

user tags

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •