Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maryland and probably Rutgers joining the BigTen

Default Maryland and probably Rutgers joining the BigTen

Looks like the 2014-2015 season will see the bigten get even deeper in wrestling talent.

I know the mainstream sports media will be talking about how this affects football and basketball, but I'm thinking that this is a big shot in the arm for both wrestling programs. I'm of course assuming that Rutgers will be official soon.

Default Re: Maryland and probably Rutgers joining the BigTen

Not good news for the ACC in wrestling, not good at all

Sucks. At least Pitt is a good team that will be there soon.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

True, this is not good at all for ACC wrestling. However, they'll still have 6 teams with Pitt.

It certainly gives both Rutgers' and Maryland's programs some stability and should help with recruiting.

UGH! Neither bring much of anything to the conference (that I care about). Both are ok for wrestling (if you look very recently), but do they raise or lower the average talent level in the B10?

Obviously Maryland basketball is typically good, but very little else. I might be extra biased because my least pleasant experience with fans were Maryland fans.

Rutgers? Really???

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    UGH! Neither bring much of anything to the conference (that I care about). Both are ok for wrestling (if you look very recently), but do they raise or lower the average talent level in the B10?

Obviously Maryland basketball is typically good, but very little else. I might be extra biased because my least pleasant experience with fans were Maryland fans.

Rutgers? Really???
    PSU fans should love this. It gives you away sporting events with a more reasonable driving distance.

Great, two more teams that can kick the $hit out of Minnesota in football...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    Great, two more teams that can kick the $hit out of Minnesota in football...
    Thats funny!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post

Rutgers? Really???
    Really....RUTGERS !

While the impact will not be immediate, it should impact the exodus of top tier NJ talent to others in the Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12 both in wrestling and football. Even though Rutgers has had some success in football and and some good talent in wrestling, by far the majority of top recruits in both have hightailed it out of state. 2-3 years Rutgers will be competitive on the football field and will be visible on the B10 mats. The impact on B10 will certainly be greater on the gridiron. With RU keeping some matmen at home, it will hinder other B10 recruiting. Guys like Caldwell, Russell, Burroughs, Molinaro are more likely to wrestle at home in front of family than heading elsewhere.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.