Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Johny Hendrick

Default Johny Hendrick

Ho.ly. Crap. The man hits like a sack of concrete.

On another note, I realized watching UFC 154 that one of the things that makes GSP so good at takedowns is that he actually uses the hike-step technique and popping his hips when he is in on his opponent's legs. A lot of MMA guys- even really accomplished wrestlers- will just grab the legs and push their opponent into the fence.

Default Re: Johny Hendrick

That was awesome.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Man... I have mixed feelings. On the on the one hand, I really really dislike Johnny Hendricks. On the other hand, he is a former wrestler, and WOW was that impressive!

I actually bought the PPV and it was pretty solid overall. GSP vs Condit was great, not necessarily because it was a spectacular fight, but it was great to see GSP back in action and beating another top contender. Condit also had a moment or two
    Gold is an idiot.

I've never understood this... why do wrestling fans hate Johny Hendricks?

I'd say it was probably a combination of three things.

He was an Oklahoma State guy when Oklahoma State was winning NCAA's every year, he was absurdly cocky when he wrestled, and the match against Churella in the finals.

I guess I hated him for a time, but I eventually grew ambivalent about him by the end of his career. I've rooted for him as a former wrestler ever since he took up MMA.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Johny was probably the most hated man in wrestling when he was competing. I remember even before he started fighting Zach Esposito would talk about just how crazy strong he was for his size.
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by FalconWrestlingKY View Post
    Johny was probably the most hated man in wrestling when he was competing. I remember even before he started fighting Zach Esposito would talk about just how crazy strong he was for his size.
    Maybe age and family have mellowed Hendricks; he comes across as a happy go lucky farm boy now, everyone seems to love him as an MMA fighter. I'll believe "crazy strong", Kampman was out before he hit the ground.

I loved the GSP/Condit fight; GSP was clearly better but Condit fought like hell. I'll admit that head kick had me scared for a minute.

He's an overly religious redneck which also makes me dislike him, in addition to all of the other things people have mentioned
    Gold is an idiot.

I loved watching JH wrestle..........he just kept coming and trying to win. I thought that he played the 'bad guy' role for laughs.
    And when he lost his title his senior year, he acted with complete class.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.