Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Thorn pins Bonanno

Default Re: Thorn pins Bonanno

Not that I should have been surprised by this, but it was strange to see how similarly built that McDonough and Thorn are with Thorn at 125.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

I talked with David back in July and he was pretty much at weight then. Offered him a beer out on the golf course. He turned it down like a good boy. I don't think the cut was too bad. He did say he felt sluggish in the Hofsta dual. If that was sluggish? Wow...he is going to be fun to watch.

I know when a cut got bad for me I was just kind of walking around in a bit of a fog. I would get a little shaky in my legs but usually when the whistle blew I felt decent. I also know the longer those damn matches went on, the more I was counting on the fact that the guy I was wrestling was feeling it a bit too.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

I can remember the feeling. One year in HS I lost so much weight that in order to stay awake in class a physician put me on "pep pills", a kind of amphetamine (he was also the Dr that certified me at the lower weight!). [After just a couple of days on the pills I took myself off of them as I hated the feeling of coming off them!!] I almost passed out the first match down at that weight. But as the season went along I got more adjusted to it. It seems that McD does that. But some guys seem to get weaker as the season goes along. Not sure why the difference. Is it just the way they cut weight, or maybe just each body is different?

Cody Yohn tends to struggle as the season goes on.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Yohn at nationals was appalling; sunken eye sockets, hollow cheeks, a gaunt stare. This guy was a walking skeleton and clearly not having any fun.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

I hope this year isn't more of the same, but not sure how it can be any different. Just no place to move up.

Thinking of 165, though, Mike Evans has to be cutting a TON of weight, considering his weight class in high school, and what he came into Iowa projected to wrestle at.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

There was talk of Yohn going to 174 and Storley to 165 but those kind of died down.