Thread: Mangrum ??

Default Mangrum ??

Roberts smokes mangrum 7-2-
    from my friend Drooke on TOM
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Default Re: Mangrum ??

Results on Trackwrestling
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Who is Roberts?
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Roberts is listed as a 33lber who is a RSsoph! Sounds like Z has some depth building up North

Here is a complete write up on the intrasquad meet by LuckyBucky from the PureOrange forum.

133 Van Anroy vs Harris
    Harris had to cut weight to wrestle at this weight. I think it was a stretch for him. Van Anroy is a very talented wrestler. Harris is an excellent athlete who has decent skills. Van Anroy just does not make mistakes and has an excellent defense. Both are in excellent cardio shape. Harris tried a few failed single legs and Drew capitolized on both for points. That was basically it. I project Drew as the starter for the beavs at 133.
    Van Anroy won.

165 Latham vs Elder
    I thought this was going to be a barn burner scoring wise. Elder brought the defense and was able to stay up or on top most of the night, which I think is key for him. Elder is tough on top, but could add to his offense. Once he latches on though, he is usually good for at least one tilt. Latham could not find a way thru Alex's armor. Joe was at medium agressiveness tonight. I have seen him put a lot more pressure on guys in the past. Looked like he was thinking a little more tentively today. Alex out scrambled him most of the evening. Thomas was not available for tonight. Alex will still need to beat him to take the starting spot.
    Elder won

184 Engdahl vs Tuck
    Tuck looked out of shape, not as chiselled as last year.
    Tuck though, is very hard to take down. Has a tree trunk type base. Has a great defense with one leg on the ground. Likes to lull you into thinking you can score on him. Then he just wears you down and takes his points where he can get them.
    Tuck won

125 Palmer vs Rollins
    Palmer was very physical in this match. A decent amount of scrambles by both, with Palmer the agreesor a lot of the day. Rollins did not match Joey's physical or mental intensity. Joey projected (to the crowd) that this was his match to win throughout out the night. Roberts was able to keep Palmer in front of him most of the match, but Joey kept pushing the angles and adventually found a way in. Joey had a few great moves both standing and on all fours. Pat is going to need to get tougher to keep his job.
    Palmer won

141 Roberts vs Mangrum
    Mangrum did not look like he wanted to be there tonight and wasn't. I have seen this before from him. Typically its because he fails to make weight properly and has to scramble to just make the mat. I thought he had this solved, but I guess its early in the season and he is not ready. To Roberts credit he took it to Mangrum. He wrestled very smart and stayed the aggressor the entire match. Enough that mangrum drew 2 stalling calls, which he deserved both. He just walked thru the paces and forgot that he needed to win. I think mangrum will rebound, but Roberts is not going to just lay over for him. Infact Pat is probably the hardest working guy in the room. Always been impressed with his workouts. I believe pat will stay at 141, as he has grown into his body this last year and 133 is a stretch now.

149 Henrickson vs Sakaguchi
    I was impressed with Henrickson. Has a good defense. Took a while for Scott to start manhandling him. Scott was his normal relentless pressure self. Henrickson finally had to cave and give Scott his points. Henrickson is a tall lanky type, typical freshman build. He appears to have good skills and could take over when his time comes.
    Sakaguchi won

157 Chay vs Pena
    I will say one thing for Chay, he is really hard to tilt. He lackes defensive speed on his feet, but on the ground he is litterally a manhole cover. Very hard to flip over. RJ tried numerous times to lock up an arm and Chay was not going to give it up. RJ decided to just put on a TD clinic and take this by TF.
    Pena won

174 Weishoff vs Moorehead
    Cody is a very strong competitor, who has really improved his defense. Morehead is a tall lanky kid with excellent wrestling skills, proven by his two national runner up trophies. Weishoff couldn't muscle Moorehead out of position much. Austin stayed squared up most of the time and waited for his chances. There was a coupld of scrambles in this match. The final one came with Austin pinning Cody. Me thinks these two will be competing for the starting role all year long.
    Moorehead won by pin

197 Mondragon vs Meeks
    Mr Meeks has added a lot of muscle from last year and is a true 197 pounder now. He manhandlesd Lucas most of the match. Getting his take downs and then punishing Mondragon most of the match. Taylor looks to have added some more to his offensive arsenal, which he will need when he competes against those top 10 guys.
    Meeks won

No HWT match tonight.
    A couple of things to note:
    125 Palmer is a True frosh and I suspect that he takes a RS year but he may not if he is clearly better than Rollins.
    133/141 I would not be surprised to see Roberts at 133 this year and in the past Mangrum has had problems with his weight if this is the case i think that he gets things under control and we see Mangrum back to his old self and manning the 141 spot this year. It is great to see some depth and real challenges at some of these weights though.
    165 No Seth Thomas. Thomas won a couple of small opens last year beating Latham in one and Elder in another. I am guessing he was banged up enough that Z wanted him to have the night off. I think that Thomas is the guy this year at 165.
    174/184 Cardwell was the best guy in the room last year at either weight and the coaching staff wanted to pull his RS and have him man the weight. His dad (former 2x AA for OSU) talked him out of it. Not sure why we didn't see him in the lineup tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

125-Joey Palmer dec Pat Rollins 10-5
    133-Drew Van Anrooy tech Anthony Harris 17-1
    141-James Roberts dec Mike Mangrum 7-2
    149-Scott Sakaguchi maj Jordan Henrickson 11-2
    157-RJ Pena tech Toney Chay 25-9
    165-Alex Elder tech Joe Latham 17-2
    174-Austin Morehead fall Cody Weishoff
    184-John Tuck dec Brian Engdahl 6-4
    197-Taylor Meeks tech Lucas Mondragon 17-2

i was talking to both snack and VAIS about Morehead as he may be a player . A 2x Div II runner up at 184 cutting to 174 .

Palmer/Rollins
    VanAnroy/Roberts
    Mangrum
    Sakaguchi
    Pena
    Thomas/Elder
    Morehead/Cardwell
    Cardwell/Morehead/Tuck
    Meeks
    Hanke

Is not a bad lineup. . .
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    Palmer/Rollins
    VanAnroy/Roberts
    Mangrum
    Sakaguchi
    Pena
    Thomas/Elder
    Morehead/Cardwell
    Cardwell/Morehead/Tuck
    Meeks
    Hanke

Is not a bad lineup. . .
    Not bad at all! OSU should be very competitive this year.

Mangrum avenged his loss to Roberts in the final of the Mike Clock Open.