Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Rule Change

Default Proposed Rule Change

After reading the thread about the 125 lb all-star match on themat.com, and the controversy about the takedown call, I propose the following rule:
    If you are being held on your back, you are taken down. Doesn't matter if you are hanging onto an arm or a leg or whatever.

Maybe (almost certainly) I don't really understand the intricacies of folkstyle wrestling, but it drives me crazy when someone is laying on their back not giving up points. It just seems wrong.

Default Re: Proposed Rule Change

I think dyed in the wool folkstyle fans enjoy the scramble nature of it and would be opposed to a rule like that.

Fair enough.

i enjoy watching folkstyle scrambles too, even though I don't understand all the intricacies of the techniques involved, but it just doesn't seem right that a guy is held on his back- relatively close to being pinned, and he is not giving up points just because he's grabbing onto his opponent's limb. Meanwhile, holding your opponent's ankles is a takedown...

Maybe it's just a matter of what you grow up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gantry View Post
    I think dyed in the wool folkstyle fans enjoy the scramble nature of it and would be opposed to a rule like that.
    I'm one of those. Freestyle is about back exposure. Folkstyle is about control. In folkstyle, you can't earn back points until you have control. To change this would simply be one more concession that folkstyle has made to freestyle, along with choice of top bottom or neutral (more emphasis on takedowns), moving the starting lines closer together, and use of the optional start on top. That's right, kids, it wasn't always that way.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Maybe it's just a matter of what you grow up with.
    Quite true, and I admit that I am somewhat of a dinosaur, but that's my opinion.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I'm one of those. Freestyle is about back exposure. Folkstyle is about control. In folkstyle, you can't earn back points until you have control. To change this would simply be one more concession that folkstyle has made to freestyle, along with choice of top bottom or neutral (more emphasis on takedowns), moving the starting lines closer together, and use of the optional start on top. That's right, kids, it wasn't always that way.

Quite true, and I admit that I am somewhat of a dinosaur, but that's my opinion.
    Those last changes toward FS happened when I was in High School over 25 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Those last changes toward FS happened when I was in High School over 25 years ago.
    Fortunately we were able to nip it in the bud.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I don't think that's the case in PA. I graduated in '84 and none of those were in effect at the time. I don't know the exact year they took effect because I lost track of HS wrestling for quite a few years after I graduated and moved.

I graduated in 86 and I know all of the changes were in effect by my senior year. That was also the first year of the tech fall and that year it was worth 6 team points in a dual.

I love the idea about 6 point tech fall as long as you get the back points and you don't get the 6 unless you use 2 different tilts or turns.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."