Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JO to 49?

Default JO to 49?

Someone who heard John Smith at a clinic said JO to 49, Kindig to 41. Very interesting.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Default Re: JO to 49?

Two weight class jump. Interesting. 149 is a weak enough weight though and JO an exceptional technician enough to pull it off. I don't think he will be as dominating however.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Well figure JO is going to beat PSU's 41 no matter what but Kindig vs Alton gives PSU the edge. Switch them around & Okie St probably wins both. Hence this talk now on the PSU boards that Gulibon may not RS & go 141. See u at the Scuffle.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    Well figure JO is going to beat PSU's 41 no matter what but Kindig vs Alton gives PSU the edge. Switch them around & Okie St probably wins both. Hence this talk now on the PSU boards that Gulibon may not RS & go 141. See u at the Scuffle.
    Kindig > PSU 41. JO > AA.

It will help them against PSU I do believe.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Opens up 141 a bit. Definately don't see Maple running away with it.

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Sometimes we aren't sure exactly what John's logic is behind moves. For example please note Chris Perry dropping to 174 despite being able to win it at 184. However I can still see this working out, just isn't the lineup I wanted.
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

Since PSU doesn't wrestle OSU in a dual and PSU isn't in the National Duals this year, can't see that comparative advantage vs PSU in a dual plays into the decision at all. [But IF they did wrestle a dual the switch would likely work to OSU's advantage] I think JO is frontrunner for the title at either weight. But Kindig would certainly have a better chance of AA at 141. I suspect that's what's going into Smith's thinking if he makes that move.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconWrestlingKY View Post
    Sometimes we aren't sure exactly what John's logic is behind moves. For example please note Chris Perry dropping to 174 despite being able to win it at 184. However I can still see this working out, just isn't the lineup I wanted.
    He had a better shot at the finals (albeit probably not winning) last year at least in my eyes, and now he sets up as the heavy favorite coming into this year.

As odd as this decision sounds after bagging on JO staying at 133 all summer two years ago and then having him come in and decimate everyone I'm going to keep my mouth shut when it comes to where Smith puts guys weight wise.

He seems to have some idea of what he's doing.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Maybe JO is preparing for a freestyle career at 66 kg, where he'll definitely be matched up against bigger guys. If so, wrestling at 149 makes sense.