Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dake is lucky he never has to face this guy

Default Re: Dake is lucky he never has to face this guy

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    BTW (hijack alert) how is Askren doing in MMA? Any chance of his moving up to bigger organization soon?
    Askren is still undefeated. Not very good on his feet but no one can stop his takedowns. He's the Bellator champ and should probably stay in that organization for a while. He has shown he can take a punch but has yet to give one. He wouldn't beat top ten guys in UFC yet. If he improves his boxing though, watch out.

i saw him at the ufc card in virginia earlier this year. it was his ufc debut and he lost to a scrub via guillotine choke. i believe he fought a few weeks ago and won an unimpressive split decision against a bjj guy.

anyone know why he left univ. of minn in his freshmen year?

Well, he had Jared Lawrence to contend with. Maybe that wasn't a lot of fun...or, if he wanted to move up to 157, he had a guy by the name of Luke Becker to get thru.....both returning National Champs.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

I remember some kind of documentary done on him locally here and I think he said he left because he lost the passion to wrestle, and got a little too into the partying scene. He was an unbelievable talent, I would have loved to see what he could have done if he had stayed.

OK, this will fall into the "I heard from some insiders......." catagory with no real validated proof but here goes: The two things that kept coming out about ML is that (1)he could compete and in some cases beat Lawrence and (2) he wasn't the most "focused student." I seem to recall that Lawrence & ML were the first Co-Champions at the Bison Open which is commonplace now and may point towards them been evenly matched. As a huge Lawrence fan from day one as a Gopher, I kinda hope that wasn't the case.

It was/is common knowledge that JRob will do what he feels is best for the team and that may have not been in ML's interest of self-promotion. He's a flashy kid who loves the spotlight (ie: backflip....faked ankle injury....2nd backflip after last state title) and wanted to make the starting lineup somewhere. That said, huge talent who I'd have loved to see compete at the highest level. I remember watching his match vs. Nate Baker during his undefeated stretch.....were there any other notable matchups with D1 or previous D1 talent (with the exception of Freestyle)?

Quote Originally Posted by GopherfanbackinMN View Post
    were there any other notable matchups with D1 or previous D1 talent (with the exception of Freestyle)?
    Cole Pape from Iowa being one of the only persons who ever beat LaVesseur, which, I think, was in both of their senior years in high school.

Pape went onto a less than stellar career at Iowa, and likely would have been tech falled in college by LaVesseur had they wrestled at that time.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Byron Tate vs. Chris Honeycutt

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by louden swain View Post
    Byron Tate vs. Chris Honeycutt
    Beat you to it but ya, my point exactly.
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by FalconWrestlingKY View Post
    Beat you to it but ya, my point exactly.
    Just read all the other posts in the thread. Indeed you did, kiddos to you sir!