Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midlands field set

Default Re: Midlands field set

I love Midlands as a tournament, so it's a good news/bad news thing for me.

Bad news? No Iowa; they bring a lot to the table in any tournament.

Good news? Lots of prime seating available and no incessant screams of, "stalling!"
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

They just said on the Iowa dual audio that Daniel Dennis will be at the Midlands. Hopefully ex-high school teammate Jimmy Kennedy joins him.

Dont' remember if it was mentioned here, but Iowa as a team isn't going but they are sending five guys there. Which guys isn't known yet, but any guys and some HWC wrestlers will be a welcome addition.

I believe it has been stated that Gilman, Clark, Brooks and Meyer will be attending in addition to Dennis

So does Dennis count as one of Iowa's five invites or is he a separate HWC invite? I know they ran out of slots awhile ago, so it may be tight for people to get in...

I believe he is counting towards Iowa's 5 because he did not apply individually and was asked to go by Brands late. The idea is that he will help serve as a coach/mentor while out there with the young guys.

This is an Open right so I can expect Zanetta to be there and maybe Colon?
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

I presume that a big part of the reason Iowa didn't go is the Grapple at the Garden. Two cross country trips to metro areas is pretty pricey including the room/board, especially over a two week time period. Per Iowa's AD a couple of years ago, even as great as Iowa does from a fan support/attendance perspective, they aren't quite in the black, which, of course, no wrestling program probably is. It's a non-revenue sport.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Zapp I agree that the Grapple might have had an impact on Iowa attending Midlands, but didn't TB say it had more to do with Ohio State being Jan 4th? Obviously he wasn't happy with last year's dual and wants to turn that around. But are you including Midlands as a "cross country trip"? Chicago is a relatively short bus trip away. I understand it would mean getting hotel rooms for two nights, but I would guess the cost of Midlands would be the cheapest option for a multiple day tournament available...

Yeah, my bad. I'm not from the midwest, I overestimated the travel distance.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...