Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midlands field set

Default Re: Midlands field set

what he said
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    As a fan I wish Iowa was there, but like vais I trust that Brands knows how to handle his team better than I do. I am still hoping that a couple of their true freshman go and compete unattached. I would like to see how Brooks, Clark, Gillman and Skon fair against the field.
    I'm sure Brands knows what he's doing, but this is a different situation than last time. Last time they significantly underperformed at the Midlands so Brands pulled a team with a bunch of young guys out of the National Duals. I'm sure his reason is solid now, but it's less evident, at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    I'm sure Brands knows what he's doing, but this is a different situation than last time. Last time they significantly underperformed at the Midlands so Brands pulled a team with a bunch of young guys out of the National Duals. I'm sure his reason is solid now, but it's less evident, at least to me.
    Iowa never had the National Duals on their schedule that year. It wasn't a matter of them under-performing at Midlands, they simply were not going regardless.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

No team with the fan base Iowa has should miss a big event .Simple economics .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Iowa never had the National Duals on their schedule that year. It wasn't a matter of them under-performing at Midlands, they simply were not going regardless.
    Thanks for the clarification. I had thought they were going to go and then pulled out after Midlands. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I had thought they were going to go and then pulled out after Midlands. My bad.
    Sure.

It certainly looked more logical for them to not attend National Duals after their horrible Midlands showing.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

It looks like Iowa has AT LEAST attended one of National Duals and Midlands each year (often both).

I for one am bummed as well about Iowa not making the trip to Midlands. My first college tournament I ever went to live was the 1991 Midlands which was a preview of a lot of the NCAA finals matchups. To see Fried pin Brands was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen as a youngster as I was going to Hawkeye wrestling camps at the time and looked to both Brands brothers as basically unbeatable it floored me.
    Also in my humble opinion I believe that Iowa team to be the best Ncaa team of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by RD149-2 View Post
    I for one am bummed as well about Iowa not making the trip to Midlands. My first college tournament I ever went to live was the 1991 Midlands which was a preview of a lot of the NCAA finals matchups. To see Fried pin Brands was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen as a youngster as I was going to Hawkeye wrestling camps at the time and looked to both Brands brothers as basically unbeatable it floored me.
    Also in my humble opinion I believe that Iowa team to be the best Ncaa team of all time.

As a northeast ohio guy, I would have loved to have seen Fried pin Brands live. But alas, I was in diapers at the time

I also wish Iowa were going, but there are some new teams added that should make up for it.