Default Re: Breakdown your team and were you think their guys will finish

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Why isn't he eligible, grades?
    There was a "team rules violation."

I'll just leave it at that.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Robles won 7-1 and never scored after the first period other than an escape.
    McDonough could wrestle that match 5 times and not win it. It was a unique situation I do admit but Robles is gonna get that tilt more times than not on everyone.

By the way, I didn't say "nightmarish", I was paraphrasing the other dude.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    Goferphan, your picks are very realistic but I think you're selling Storley short. He has a legit shot to win
    I put him 2nd to 5th because I think he has a style that keeps matches very close thus he's always having to pull out that TD or Escape in the third period, and sometimes it doesn't go his way. I think that is a poor style to "win it all" but a good style to work your way back through a bracket if he takes a loss.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    He did get beat. I'm not going to go any further into how I really feel since it will just upset you. That match was far from a normal circumstance and you can call me out if it makes you feel better.
    It is not going to hurt my feeling at all trust me and wrestling a national championship wrestler who has one leg and freakish strength is obviously far from normal circumstances. Robles was the better wrestler that year and that day... he shut down after he built up huge lead, so it was not the most satisfying match to watch. No disrespect to McD, as he is probably going to be 3x champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    125: Eddie Klimara - OSU recruited 3 "lifetime" 125s who have outgrown the weight now. One is going to try to make it back down, but I expect the true freshman will end up starting. I understand he is a pretty well thought of recruit, but don't see much beyond qualifying for anyone from OSU at this weight.

133: Jon Morrison - He looked better the longer break he had, but it wasn't enough. Hopefully at 133 he can go in and focus just on getting better everyday and we see the results on the mat. Low AA is the best I can see here all the same.

141: Jordan Oliver - This is probably the smart play, lots of risk in jumping 2 weights. I still would have had him as the favorite. Same thing as Morrison here, except a JO only working to get better everyday could be amazing to see. Anything less than champ is a disappointment.

149: Josh Kindig - I've heard he struggled with his weight last season and so you would think this is the third weight where going up should have better results, but I don't see it. He was dwarfed by several opponents at 141, and seems too short to be effective at 149 to me. Probable qualifier but nothing else (again)

157: Alex Dierenger - Everyone has raved about him so far, and so I'm hoping for an excellent season. Dake going up can only help raise his point scoring potential, even if I don't think he would have challenged Dake. I'm hoping he is in the 3-6 range.

165: Tyler Caldwell - On the other hand, Dake going up hurts here. I am still curious to see Caldwell and Taylor square off since it is a big time style clash, but I can't really see him beating either guy ahead of him. Luckily, I don't see anyone below him sneaking up on him, so third.

174: Chris Perry - He wrestled much better at 174 I thought. With Ruth going up and Howe redshirting, he is preseason #1. I'm guessing at least a top 3 finish again, and expect he will get the job done and add National Title 11 to the family.

184: Chris Chionuma - Another one that most are pretty positive about. He is making the jump up 2 weights, although I think he started in January rather than March and was doing well putting the extra weight on. If he isn't getting the job done, Jordan Rogers is waiting in the wings. I'm skeptical and only saying qualifier.

197: Blake Rosholt - A pretty shiny record from last season marred by the fact that his best win, by far, was over a teammate. Beating all the guys you are supposed to is a good start, but he hasn't shown the ability to beat the guys you see on Friday at nationals yet. I think 4-6 right now.

285: Alan Gelogaev - "I should be able to destroy pretty much everyone." I'm glad he thinks so, I'm less convinced since this is a tough weight. 1-4 provided he can stay healthy.

Not really much surprises from OSU as a team, a ton of talent, but following through on that hasn't happened. I think adding Scuffle and Big XII duals the day before the Big XII conference tournament should do a lot to help fix one of the reasons for that. Going to be tough to unseat anyone but Cornell who finished ahead of them though.
    Boy, Art, I think I'm more optimistic than you are about OSU's possibilities. I know you have suffered through the past few NCAA's with underperformance, so it's understandable. But, if OSU wrestles up to their potential they should be in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    McDonough could wrestle that match 5 times and not win it. It was a unique situation I do admit but Robles is gonna get that tilt more times than not on everyone.

By the way, I didn't say "nightmarish", I was paraphrasing the other dude.
    I'm assuming he took umbrage with the use of your term "ass beating"
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    I'm assuming he took umbrage with the use of your term "ass beating"
    I did. I'm not arguing that Robles wasn't just better than him at that point (and yes, blahblahblah physical advantages), just that it was hardly some piece of otherworldly dominance.

And, to be clear, I don't get down with the whole "physical advantage" argument for Robles. He had 1 leg. THe fact that he overcame that to become an NCAA champion is amazing. It's not like he lost the leg between seasons, he always had one leg. People were beating him throughout college while he improved like every other wrestler. Bravo to him.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

I'm on record after last year of being fully on the Matt McDonough bandwagon. He wins with class. I've rarely if ever seen him show up an opponent. Anytime I've seen him interviewed he's a very humble kid. His coach could learn a little but from him.

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    I'm on record after last year of being fully on the Matt McDonough bandwagon. He wins with class. I've rarely if ever seen him show up an opponent. Anytime I've seen him interviewed he's a very humble kid. His coach could learn a little but from him.
    I'm with you. No secret that I'm not a Hawkeye fan, but how do you not root for McDonough? He's everything that we all claim to love about wrestling.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.