Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iowa Adds Uncle Luke as S&C coach

Default Iowa Adds Uncle Luke as S&C coach

Former University of Iowa All-American Luke Lofthouse has joined the Iowa wrestling staff as interim strength and conditioning coach. The announcement was made today by UI head coach Tom Brands.

A 2011 All-American, Lofthouse first joined the Iowa wrestling program in 2004. He was a letterwinner during the 2004-05 season, earning the coaches' appreciation award while competing at 174 pounds. He then took a two-year hiatus from the program to complete a Mormon mission to Africa from 2005-07.

Lofthouse returned to the program and redshirted in 2007-08 before making his way back to the mat in 2008-09, when he was again named the recipient of the coaches' appreciation award. The following season he posted a 5-3 Big Ten dual record at 197 pounds while competing for the injured Chad Beatty.

In 2011, Lofthouse earned the starting spot at 197 pounds and went on to earn All-America honors by placing fifth at the 2011 NCAA Championships. That year he posted a 25-7 dual record, a runner-up finish at the Big Ten Championships, and was named the team's most dedicated wrestler.

"This is a great opportunity for me and my family," said Lofthouse. "I committed to this program a long time ago, and I'm thrilled to be able to continue that commitment in this new role. I want to thank the entire coaching staff for the opportunity. Iowa has a great history of wrestlers and coaches, and to say I've been on both sides is pretty exciting."

A native of Avon, Utah, Lofthouse was a member of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club in 2012. He and his wife, Allison, currently reside in Coralville, Iowa. He is a 2011 graduate of the University of Iowa
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Default Re: Iowa Adds Uncle Luke as S&C coach

Geez Wiltz-where the hell have you been ?
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

I've been lurking just not posting much

Just be careful where you lurk !!
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

LOL, yeah. Been busy at work. Hopefully things slow down. I have another new boss; I believe its my 7th in about 18 months. He promised to get me help; currently I am doing the work of about 3 people.

This raises a question for me - what is the role of the strength and conditioning coach?

On paper, Luke brings just about nothing to the table as far as S&C experience (other than he trained as an athlete). His major was listed as interdepartmental studies on the Iowa roster. The announcement of his hiring makes no mention at all of his background in S&C. Since the rules state this position can not wrestle with the team, and I assume Iowa and all other programs would honor this, what good does he do the program?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    This raises a question for me - what is the role of the strength and conditioning coach?

On paper, Luke brings just about nothing to the table as far as S&C experience (other than he trained as an athlete). His major was listed as interdepartmental studies on the Iowa roster. The announcement of his hiring makes no mention at all of his background in S&C. Since the rules state this position can not wrestle with the team, and I assume Iowa and all other programs would honor this, what good does he do the program?
    The first thing is a Luke worked extensively with Chris Doyle for 3 years who happens to be one of the most well respected S&C in the country. Secondly Luke is allowed to wrestle with the Hawkeye Wrestling Club and so are the wrestlers(from what I understand) and lastly he is very well respected by the other coaches and wrestlers on the team. Plus it doesn't hurt that he is a alum.

Luke bulked to become a respectable 97 lber. That had to have a role.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    The first thing is a Luke worked extensively with Chris Doyle for 3 years who happens to be one of the most well respected S&C in the country. Secondly Luke is allowed to wrestle with the Hawkeye Wrestling Club and so are the wrestlers(from what I understand) and lastly he is very well respected by the other coaches and wrestlers on the team. Plus it doesn't hurt that he is a alum.
    I don't mean this to be about Luke specifically, I have no feelings about him in particular. He's just a timely example.
    Did he intern with Doyle or something like that? I would have assumed that the head football S&C guy wouldn't spend much time with wrestling, but obviously that could be very different at Iowa.

The rest of the comments I think are right on point, and they are the reason for the question- do they want a S&C guy, or do they want a practice partner for the club so he can indirectly be a practice partner for the team?

As for him bulking up to 197 - would it be better to have the guy who bulked up successfully, or the guy who designed the program?