Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: PSU's line up-best guess

Default Re: PSU's line up-best guess

Quote Originally Posted by BigTenFan View Post
    My hat's off to you Herkey! You too spider. Sticking up for Cael had to be hard for you, and I'm not being a smart aleck saying that...I really mean it. I'm a PSU fan, and you'd probably be surprised at the number of folks here in Happy Valley that respect and stand up for the Brands'. Been a college fan for a very long time, and the best fans understand what all these coaches bring to the table...we need 'em all!!
    Thanks, Fan, but it was easy for me to stick up for Cael. I have no allegiance to any college program, but am a lifelong (and I mean long) fan of the sport and am in favor of anything and any one that's good for it. Regarding the National Duals controversy on the other thread, it's my belief that the proposal will hurt college wrestling. I couldn't care less if it helps or hurts any college's chances of winning a championship.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

One thing that will change for me this coming season is that Cornell will now be the team I want to stomp even more than PSU. Although they will surely be a close second.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Thanks, Fan, but it was easy for me to stick up for Cael. I have no allegiance to any college program, but am a lifelong (and I mean long) fan of the sport and am in favor of anything and any one that's good for it. Regarding the National Duals controversy on the other thread, it's my belief that the proposal will hurt college wrestling. I couldn't care less if it helps or hurts any college's chances of winning a championship.

I agree with this. People see it as only thinking what is best for Iowa but cmon. Do you really think Iowa is going to hurt for championships under either scenario? I just hate the way this all went down. Like I said earlier. If after a year of contemplation they decide in a fair and transparent fashion that the duals is the way to go, I will support it.

Quote Originally Posted by nlion91 View Post
    Again, seriously? Being the coach of a championship team, or any wrestling team for that matter, DOES mean you contribute to the sport. You're a coach, there is no greater contribution! Aside from that small detail he also runs the NLWC, develops our local youth programs, runs summer wrestling camps, participates in clinics, and is an ambassador for the sport every day of his life. Not sure what your definition of "contribute" is but I think that qualifies.
    I think Koll, John Smith, J. Robinson, Zalesky, etc. etc. all do those things for their team and state and are great ambassadors for the sport. The difference is they participate in their National Organization the NCWA to help grow the sport for all. They don't sit back and then tear apart what the orginization is trying to build. They very well could be right, but they should be there airing their differences and ideas. Usually if you're not part of the process, you very well could be part of the problem.

Let me ask this question. If this proposal of the National Duals was presented, with only one difference, what would everyone think then. The one differnce being the NCAA would recognize and award team trophys for both the Dual Team Champion and Team Champion in the individual tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by oted874 View Post
    Let me ask this question. If this proposal of the National Duals was presented, with only one difference, what would everyone think then. The one differnce being the NCAA would recognize and award team trophys for both the Dual Team Champion and Team Champion in the individual tournament?
    Two different championships recognized by the NCAA is what everyone has been wanting for years. It is the reason the National Duals are not a great success. And it will be the reason of the demise of the individual tournament as we know it, imo, if the NCAA team title is taken away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    It is the reason the National Duals are not a great success.
    Conveniently overlooking the fact that PSU boycotts the event and Iowa only shows up when it is to their advantage.
    "He beat nobodies..Thorn at 133 won't be great, R12 or worse imo...
    I just don't see it...David Thorn is not elite. I don't think he'll place"

Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    Conveniently overlooking the fact that PSU boycotts the event and Iowa only shows up when it is to their advantage.
    PSU was there regularly, and had typically had more team success there than at the individual tournament, as recently as 08-09 and 09-10. Not exactly an historic boycott unless you have only been following wrestling for about 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by oted874 View Post
    Absolutely yes. With that on the table, I think all of the coaches would be willing to work toward a good format.

Let's not forget, the format for last year's national duals made me think they were actually trying to make it fail. Not announcing the final location until the week of? I don't think they could have come up with a worse idea about how to get fans to attend. People didn't just skip that year to boycott the concept, they skipped it because the execution was pitiful.

I think 4 (or 8) regionals one weekend and then the Semifinals and finals the following (at an announced location) would be workable.