Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PSU's line up-best guess

Default Re: PSU's line up-best guess

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    I think calling Alton a question mark is stretching the definition. I don't think he wins a title, but the kid is a bona fide stud. Brown I think is a definite question mark in terms of AA level. Going through a full season is a different animal than winning a match against true frosh Logan Storley early in the year. He could end up a total stud, but I don't think it's unfair to call a kid in Brown's position a question mark.
    Zapp--I'll grant you that his win over Storley alone doesn't qualify him beyond a question mark. But, he also beat Henderson there and a couple of solid 197 pounders, and held Ruth to his closest match last year (granted they practice in the same room). But one thing that really impressed me was seeing him wrestle Fittery post-season last year. Fittery won, but Brown gave him everything he could handle. I'll be very surpised if Brown doesn't AA this year. But you're right--he hasn't been a regular starter, so you could call him a question mark. But I think that question mark will be removed before long.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    If Andrew Alton and Matt Brown are question marks, then there are lots of question marks for other teams.
    I can agree with that. Maybe wild card is a better word? I could see Andrew Alton finishing a mid to low AA or I could see him winning. It's hard to know exactly how much he has progressed.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    1stplace--It depends on how you define holes. In the past PSU had guys with signficantly losing records at a few weights. I don't see that happening this year. I think all 3 of those weights will likely have winning records. If you mean holes in that they're not strong candidates pre-season for AA, well then I guess I would agree. But I think calling them holes is is overstating it. But I would definitely not see A Alton and Brown as question marks. I'll be surprised if both of the don't AA. The reason I say this is that I think it could be taken to belittle guys that are really quite good and are working hard. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way. I know Herkey looks for 10 Iowa NC's each year. The rest of us have a little more modest expectations.
    I was not intending to belittle anyone and have massive amounts of respect for kids that work hard, but still may never see the podium. With the current arms race in college wrestling, I was loosely defining "hole" as people you would be surprised to see AA. Those three wrestlers for PSU will likely all of have solid regular seasons but fall short of the podium in the post season. Iowa has some "holes" as well.

What I meant is that most teams would kill for question marks the caliber of Brown.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    I was not intending to belittle anyone and have massive amounts of respect for kids that work hard, but still may never see the podium. With the current arms race in college wrestling, I was loosely defining "hole" as people you would be surprised to see AA. Those three wrestlers for PSU will likely all of have solid regular seasons but fall short of the podium in the post season. Iowa has some "holes" as well.
    Yes, I knew you didn't mean it that way. I guess I'm a little sensitive to the "hole" terminology coming from some posts on another board. Nothing particular to you.

Where is Mr "so D1 ready that it is incredible" McIntosh?

Redshirting this year.

As closely as you follow anything and everything to do with Cael Sanderson in order to start your ridiculous threads I figured you'd have known that already.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    Where is Mr "so D1 ready that it is incredible" McIntosh?
    It looks like you type words, but all i hear in my head is "Derrrrrrp" when i read your posts.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Great HOT FUZZ reference VAIS !
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.