Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Issues Reprimand of Metcalf

Default NCAA Issues Reprimand of Metcalf

Another wrestling writer alerted me to this news. I visited the NCAA's official website and can't call up the official release, so I'm posting what was posted at TheOtherForum.com forum. If someone can refute this, please do so...

INDIANAPOLIS---The NCAA Division I Wrestling Games Committee has reprimanded University of Iowa student-athlete Brent Metcalf for inappropriate behavior following the 149-pound weight class match in the 2009 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships.
    Specifically, Mr. Metcalf?s post-match actions of aggressively shoving his opponent jeopardized that student-athlete?s safety. Because of these actions, the committee decided to issue a public reprimand to Mr. Metcalf.

The wrestling committee was disappointed in Mr. Metcalf?s actions and strongly believes the championships should not be tarnished by such acts.

Default Re: NCAA Issues Reprimand of Metcalf

Give me a break....

Here we go again...

With all of the on field crap that goes on in football and basketball, why do they chose to go public with a wrestler and stay silent on all other sports ?
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

RYou-God only knows. Shoot, the last student, in any sport, to get a public reprimand from the NCAA, was the Stanford Tree back in 2006 for behavior during that year's women's basketball tournament, and the last student-athlete, in any sport, was a Franklin Pierce soccer player for his behavior during the 2005 NCAA Division II men's soccer tournament. Why they chose Brent Metcalf to pick on in this case is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    With all of the on field crap that goes on in football and basketball, why do they chose to go public with a wrestler and stay silent on all other sports ?
    With all of the press that Metcalf gets, the NCAA had to "flex their muscle" and let everyone know that they will keep their "poster children" in check. Lame, but that's the way it is.

Can't answer your question RYou, but this move by the NCAA is absolutely no surprise to me and shouldn't be to anyone else.

As a TOSU fan it was easy to imagine a scenario where the penalty point could have dropped Iowa to second place, provided a referee had the guts to do that. Do you think a protest would have been lodged then?

As I thought through that scenario, it occured to me that any protest might have been withdrawn before being acted upon. Why? Maybe pressure from Iowa's administration after taking calls from NCAA administration, who had taken alarmed calls from on-site NCAA observers. Unlikely? Sure, but it wouldn't have surprised me. Not one bit.

Now we have attacks on the NCAA's action over on the other site. They just don't get it.

Now that the NCAA itself has participated in the booing of Metcalf (surely this meets Sesker's definition of his use of the word), might we see another column, this time accusing the NCAA of classlessness?
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

I'm not criticizing the NCAA use of the public whiplash, but the choice is a little distasteful. Could it be they would be issuing the criticism on a weekly basis in those others sports?
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.