Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NCAA Issues Reprimand of Metcalf

Default Re: NCAA Issues Reprimand of Metcalf

While I am not a Metcalf, nor an Iowa fan, I personally think the shove was out of line and the excuse was ridiculous. Sure the celebration was excessive (maybe) but the fact he did what he did made him look like he was venting his frustration. I can understand his frustration but the manner in which he did it was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by medcsu View Post
    While I am not a Metcalf, nor an Iowa fan, I personally think the shove was out of line and the excuse was ridiculous. Sure the celebration was excessive (maybe) but the fact he did what he did made him look like he was venting his frustration. I can understand his frustration but the manner in which he did it was stupid.
    welcome to twt!

I agree and also welcome you to this forum. In fact, I think it was more than stupid, but I am a stickler for sportsmanship and respect for your opponent.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I agree and also welcome you to this forum. In fact, I think it was more than stupid, but I am a stickler for sportsmanship and respect for your opponent.
    Thank you to you both. Metcalf is an outstanding wrestler but the fact is he was beaten from the opening round to the end. Besides the fact he interviews like a meathead to begin with, this pretty much vacates any future (for me atleast) to hope for his success.
    Sure mistakes and lapses of judgment occur to all of us, but in a time where the wrestling world is attempting to become more known, and more publicized, I think the action(s) of one of the poster boys to the wrestling world hurts it.
    Guys such as Herbert, or Leen are the types of people who really need to be publicized over people such as Metcalf to get the word out on how great the sport of wrestling really is.

Oh, and thank you for the warm welcome. Its really nice to be able to have educated discussions about such a great sport with people who enjoy it as much as I do.

I am too a stickler for sportsmanship and the respect for your opponent.
    Sportsmanship is extremely important in our athletics and I am too a stickler for sportsmanship and the respect for your opponent.

Brent Metcalf is an outstanding wrestler from a first-class program at Iowa. Both Iowa and Metcalf had already apologized for the incident at the end of the championship match. I was impressed with the 'quality' of Metcalf's apology.

Along with the other Buckeye fans, we were rooting for Metcalf's opponent and were delighted at the victory. And, yes, for a moment, we all wondered what just happened there. After viewing the replay, I still am not exactly sure what happened and why. In any case, it was unfortunate.

However, after Metcalf & the University had issued an apology, the NCAA reprimand was unwarranted. The NCAA has far more important things to do than issue a reprimand following an apology in a rather insignificant & questionable incident. If the NCAA wants to really promote sportmanship in college athletics, they should 'showcase' outstanding athletes who exhibit impeccable sportmanship qualities for four years .... athletes like Tyler Hansbrough who is on my list of all-time best athletes, not necessary for his skills but for his strength of character. Hansbrough is a true champion.

Let's promote not reprimand.

Does anyone know the last time a college wrestler was publicly reprimanded by the NCAA, if ever?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by osubucks View Post
    .... athletes like Tyler Hansbrough who is on my list of all-time best athletes, not necessary for his skills but for his strength of character. Hansbrough is a true champion.
    Welllllll, hellooooo my new BFF
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference