Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: D1CW 2007 Recruiting Class Rewind

Default D1CW 2007 Recruiting Class Rewind

Been slipping recently, hadn't seen D1CW come out with the third edition of whats been a really cool feature to their site over the last couple of years.

I remember looking forward to this for a while though given that 2007 had probably the worst comparative overall performance for a top 10 class of recruits at least since I've been following the sport.

2007 Recruiting Rewind - D1 College Wrestling

Top 10 (2007)
    1. Cody Gardner (VA)
    2. Zack Kemmerer (PA)
    3. Albert White (IL)
    4. Sean Nemec (OH)
    5. Corey Jantzen (NY)
    6. Mike Benefiel (IL)
    7. Tim Darling (PA)
    8. Clayton Foster (ID)
    9. Kirk Smith (ID)
    10. Eric Medina (NJ)

Top 10 (Post-College)
    1. Kellen Russell (#17 Recruit)
    2. Cam Simaz (#54 Recruit)
    3. Frank Molinaro (#68 Recruit)
    4. Zach Rey (#42 Recruit)
    5. Nick Amuchastegui (NR)
    6. Zach Sanders (#15 Recruit)
    7. Boris Novachkov (#50 Recruit)
    8. Joe LeBlanc (NR)
    9. Ryan Flores (#62 Recruit)
    10. Chris Henrich (#32 Recruit)
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Default Re: D1CW 2007 Recruiting Class Rewind

Wow--not a single NCAA champ among the Top 10 2007 recruits; and many never AA'ed! Foster and Smith were right up at the top of their weights but for different reasons fell short. Thanks for posting this, Shane. I wouldn't have found this myself.

I remember watching Tim Darling in high school and thinking he was a can't miss...oops

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    I remember watching Tim Darling in high school and thinking he was a can't miss...oops
    I think he was a Cael casualty. Cael set up some pretty clear ground rules including academic expectations and from what I understand Darling decided he didn't fit that kind of a program. He did wrestle at a school near Phila (Div 2?) but I don't think he did super well even there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    I think he was a Cael casualty. Cael set up some pretty clear ground rules including academic expectations and from what I understand Darling decided he didn't fit that kind of a program. He did wrestle at a school near Phila (Div 2?) but I don't think he did super well even there.
    I think he may have wrestled at one of the PSAC schools (Kutztown?). I'm pretty sure he was a D2 AA at somepoint but don't believe he ever won a title.

I'll take a team comprised of the top 21-50 rated any day! Can't get over some of those names who were apparently "lackluster" coming out of high school.
    Last edited by ban basketball; 08-18-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

It sticks in my mind that Tim Darling went to Kutztown and that he placed something like 5th. But, I looked up the results and no Tim Darling placed in Div 2. There was a John Darling for College of NJ that placed 6th in Div III at 157 (which was Tim Darling's old weight). Not sure what to make of that. Couldn't find a Tim Darling as placer in either Div 2 or Div 3.

It's unreal what a waste land that top 10 became. VA's own Cody Garnder topping the list.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Powless was UR'd and placed 19th ! Matt's SR. year in high school he was 51-0 with 33 falls and was not recruited !!
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.