Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: US weaker in freestyle than in past Why?

Default US weaker in freestyle than in past Why?

I'm sure that some are going to jump in with that title and note that we had 2 golds this year. But, that was the first time the US has had more than 1 gold since 1996. I know in 1972 we had 3 golds and it's happened other times as well. The US isn't faring as well in olympic wrestling as we used to why? I will suggest a couple of possible reasons and see what others of you think:

1. The collapse of the Soviet Union--instead of just one entry from the combined Soviet Union, now you have multiple entries from many different republics.

2. We all know that our folkstyle isn't the greatest preparation for freestyle wrestling in light of the significant differences. Question: Has this difference gotten larger over the past 30 years?

3. Could MMA be tapping guys that might have continued their wrestling careers in freestyle but decided to make more money in MMA? Bubba Jenkins showed some freestyle promise early, but made the quick jump to MMA.

Default Re: US weaker in freestyle than in past Why?

I think all three of your reasons are valid. I would also add that the evolution in the match length and some of the rule changes have resulted in less importance and emphasis on conditioning, which seems to be our hallmark.

Yes to all three of your points and add less weight classes to the list

Another factor maybe that the off-season wrestling is less focused on Freestyle now that there are more Folkstyle options. Back in my day every offseason tournament in my area was Freestyle and if you wanted to get better offseason you learned Freestyle

All of the reasons listed sound reasonable. Does anyone think Title IX has had any effect? With less college wrestlers competing, that could wean out guys who may have improved or matured in college. I don't know how many guys go from a 16-13 freshman season and go on to win gold but there are less opportunities now......Just a thought.

Honestly I wouldn't consider this great timing for this topic considering the United States was 1 match from being 1st over all on Earth.

But, all of your points have merit and certainly do not help us. It just seems America has found a better way to work within the hand it's been dealt.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Agreed, on the timing. If Herbert gets a different call and wins the match, or if Trevel wins either of the matches he dropped, if Sam picks up just one win then I think we take the unofficial team title. Granted Varner came through big time and probably over performed but still I'd say that this was a pretty good showing for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

The last couple of years the US has actually been doing very well IMO. Many of the top American studs (Varner, Burroughs, Herbert, ect) have chosen to wrestle freestyle instead of fighting MMA or going into coaching and that has helped immensely.

Taking a broader view of the last 10 years or so, Tomwright's reason are dead on. The differences between freestyle and folkstyle have indeed gotten bigger

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    I think all three of your reasons are valid. I would also add that the evolution in the match length and some of the rule changes have resulted in less importance and emphasis on conditioning, which seems to be our hallmark.
    Depends on the tournament, maybe, but at the Olympics conditioning was hugely important due to the matches being wrestled close together. Big name guys- Urishev, Aldatov, Gayzumov, even Americans Lester and Pireziwho (spelling?) looked very exhausted. From personal experience, I haven't wrestled much folkstyle but I found freestyle matches that went 3 rounds more exhausting than 6 minutes under the old format. It's all wrestling- no going out of bounds, injury time outs, wasting time on the ground, etc.