Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: US weaker in freestyle than in past Why?

Default Re: US weaker in freestyle than in past Why?

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Would have Coleman Scott been picked for the team based on past performances (I know he did well at the World Cup, but he might not have been on that team if it was selected by criteria).
    Scott's experience in getting on the team kind of came about as a result of Zeke including more International results in the selection process.

Bunch and Humphrey both had enough wins at International events to where Zeke set up the special wrestle off in Times Square since Bunch (qualifying the weight) and Humphrey (injured) weren't at the trials.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

I won't bash, but i will repsectfully disagree. There are as many exemples of someone doing really well in the rtials and then doing unexpectedly well in the World/Olympics. Would have Coleman Scott been picked for the team based on past performances (I know he did well at the World Cup, but he might not have been on that team if it was selected by criteria).

Brandon Slay and Garret Lowney in 2000 beat returning Olympians and heavy favorites to win their spot on the 2000 Olympic team and had virtually no international experience, yet both won medals.

I also remember people bashing Jamil Kelley after he beat a murderer's row of accomplished US wrestling stars.

US Track and Field does exactly the same thing. If you are not ready for the trials you don't make the team. And their sport is much less subjective than wrestling. Everyone knows who has the fastest time or longest distance in the last year, but if you don't produce at the trials you are out of luck.
    You have examples going either way, you have the guys coming out of nowhere to get Olympic medals (Slay and Kelly) but then you have guys who beat our better medal shots but then failed to medal (Haze being the big example right now). Counting the retired again Cejudo you could make an argument that he was probably the 3rd or even 4th best guy we had at that weight. Concerning track and field that is something my dad (who ran college track and cross country) HATES. The only thing that drives him more up the wall is when one of our medal threats gets DQed by those terrible false start rules. In his opinion it should always be the guy with the best time who goes, not the guy who just ran his best race.
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

I love the Olympic blitz style tournament format where the matches come right after each so the prelimins through the semis are wrestled in a little over 2 hours. Conditioning catches up with you in a big way in your third match in two hours.

To me it seems like a great balance if you rely to much on conditioning, you will get beat in the early rounds on technique and if you are not in great shape you will wear down in the later rounds.

Does anyone know if this format came at the same time as the best of three period etc. rule changes?
    I believe the "one day tournament" thing came about as a result of the rule changes. The Olympics seem to rush things more that the WC's, not sure if there is a specific reason or just the result of there being less competitors.

Did you see the match Gayzumov lost? He just fell apart- leading with a minute left in the third and then it looked like his lungs exploded. I wonder if he also got his bell rung or something, it was crazy to watch. The Aldatov/Urishev match was similar except both guys kept trying while they were tired.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconWrestlingKY View Post
    Counting the retired again Cejudo you could make an argument that he was probably the 3rd or even 4th best guy we had at that weight.
    At no point was Cejudo considered 3 or 4. He was upset at us open earlier that year, but he was the returning world team member and was a decent favorite coming into otts.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    At no point was Cejudo considered 3 or 4. He was upset at us open earlier that year, but he was the returning world team member and was a decent favorite coming into otts.
    I was counting Cejudo as number 1. Haze as 3 or 4
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

I was counting Cejudo as number 1. Haze as 3 or 4
    Completely misread. Apologies.

You have examples going either way, you have the guys coming out of nowhere to get Olympic medals (Slay and Kelly) but then you have guys who beat our better medal shots but then failed to medal (Haze being the big example right now). Counting the retired again Cejudo you could make an argument that he was probably the 3rd or even 4th best guy we had at that weight. Concerning track and field that is something my dad (who ran college track and cross country) HATES. The only thing that drives him more up the wall is when one of our medal threats gets DQed by those terrible false start rules. In his opinion it should always be the guy with the best time who goes, not the guy who just ran his best race.
    You can make an argument that Haze was 3rd or 4th best at the weigth while, he had the results the show he was the best. Cejudo has not really wrestled since Bejing, so I don't think you can count him as a good medal shot. I dn't think any medalist was left at home because of a bad performance at the trial, anyone we sent at 55 would have been a long shot to medal.
    There is an advantage given to a returning world medalist (I believe a bye right to the final). That sems fair enough

I have heard that russia and azerbezian(sp?), maybe just russia, have circuits that tour the country and draw big crowds, guys get somewhat famous and make some money. If that is true than we are seriously lacking in that department. Other than a the US open, WTT and a few throw in events there is nothing. If there is i know nothing about them

Quote Originally Posted by thaxton View Post
    I have heard that russia and azerbezian(sp?), maybe just russia, have circuits that tour the country and draw big crowds, guys get somewhat famous and make some money. If that is true than we are seriously lacking in that department. Other than a the US open, WTT and a few throw in events there is nothing. If there is i know nothing about them
    Have you seen US open crowds? It's our FS national championship and there's hardly nobody. I'd say they need to build that one up before they start a rock tour.

It would be awesome to see them rise to that sort of status though.