Thread: Dutton To Michigan

Default Dutton To Michigan

Dutton Joins Wolverine Program as Transfer

Stephen Dutton

July 27, 2012
    ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- University of Michigan wrestling head coach Joe McFarland announced today (Friday, July 27) the addition of transfer Stephen Dutton (Miller Place, N.Y./Rocky Point HS) to the Wolverine program. Dutton, a two-time NCAA qualifier at 141 pounds at Lehigh University, will be a junior in 2012-13 and will be immediately eligible to compete for the Wolverines.
    "We're very excited to have Stephen joining us at Michigan," said McFarland. "He comes in with great experience at the highest level of collegiate competition and has proven himself against some of the country's best. I expect him to have a big impact in our program and contribute to an extremely competitive training environment. He is going to make a great addition, and we're looking forward to having him."
    A two-time NCAA qualifier at 141 pounds, Dutton reached the Round of 12 at the 2011 tournament to fall just one match shy of All-America honors. He twice placed among the top four at the EIWA Championships, claiming fourth place as a freshman (2011) and third as a sophomore (2012).
    Dutton was ranked among the nation's top 141-pound wrestlers throughout 2011-12, entering the season listed as high as No. 6 before missing most of the first semester with injury. He posted a 42-21 record through two seasons at Lehigh, including a 23-14 mark as a true freshman.
    A native of Miller Place, N.Y., Dutton was a two-time New York state champion, winning at 140 pounds (2010) and 135 pounds (2009), after taking runner-up honors as a freshman (2007) and third place as a sophomore (2008). He registered a 227-12 over a six-year prep career, including a perfect 95-0 record in his final two seasons, to establish a new Long Island record for career wins. Dutton was also a runner-up at the prestigious Super 32 and NHSCA Junior Nationals tournaments.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Default Re: Dutton To Michigan

Michigan could be an interesting team this year. I wonder if Youtsey or Boyle will be wrestling 25 for them this year. Bruno is a tough kid, and I wonder about Massa taking a RS or not.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Seems like this confirms Grajales staying at 149.

Boyle came on a little bit at the end of the year two years ago, I would guess that it would pay to use him at 125 and let Youtsey take a year.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Seems like this confirms Grajales staying at 149.

Boyle came on a little bit at the end of the year two years ago, I would guess that it would pay to use him at 125 and let Youtsey take a year.
    I was wondering the same thing. How does this work for Grajales? I kept hearing how he is too small for 149 and was just biding his time until Russell graduated. Does anyone know if Grajales has grown into 149? If not, I would think he would drop and challenge Dutton for 141. Dutton was very respectable for Lehigh, but I would think Grajales would beat him out if 141 was his best weight.

Did Youtsey not lose a year at Army last year?

Good point, it had slipped my mind that he had already been out of high school for a year.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Did Youtsey not lose a year at Army last year?
    Apparently not as U Mich lists him as a true frosh on the roster.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Youtsey actually wasn't at West Point last year--he was at the USMA Prep School. I don't know how that affects NCAA eligibility, but Michigan's site would seem to indicate that it doesn't start the clock.

So barring injury to Boyle, Youtsey will RS this year and Boyle will be the guy.