Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 09 NCAAs: Welch vs Winston photos

Default 09 NCAAs: Welch vs Winston photos

http://www.wrestlersarewarriors.com/..._ww/index.html

Here are about 30 photos from the Welch/Winston match in the cons at the 2009 NCAAs. This captures the 50 second scramble that ended with Welch scoring five against Winston. I think it was a tough call at first (takedown and bps), but since Winston stopped for a good 10 seconds with his back exposed, there wasn't much the ref could do.

Enjoy!

Default Re: 09 NCAAs: Welch vs Winston photos

Good stuff, thanks! Without seeing it in motion, at about picture 5103 it looks like Welch has control.

With all the scrambles now it's little wonder so many of these athletes have surgery after the season! Geez, my knees hurt just looking at it!
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Watching this live, I did not agree with the TD call. Consequently, after the TD was called, they had no choice but to start counting backs due to the positioning in the scramble. Winston went down 5-0 and could not recover. Winston and Welch ended 1-1 on the year. Probably not the last of their battles.
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

Both were in some pretty precarious positions.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Both were in some pretty precarious positions.
    I don't know about that, but they were both on their backs a lot!!
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsnhips View Post
    Watching this live, I did not agree with the TD call. Consequently, after the TD was called, they had no choice but to start counting backs due to the positioning in the scramble. Winston went down 5-0 and could not recover. Winston and Welch ended 1-1 on the year. Probably not the last of their battles.
    I haven't seen video of it, but what I was thinking at the time was that Winston stopped scrambling and was held "motionless" for too long. How long was he on his back and not able to come off it? At some point, even though Welch has his back to him, he's controlling Winston.

Think headlock and roll through. If Welch has a crappy headlock, but stops his motion long enough it's a TD and BPs, even if you know Winston will pop his head out and reverse, or roll through and reverse.

That should put the argument to rest. Sorry Juan, My boy won and you owe me some $$$
    Lets go Brent!

I said it on the other board, but the pictures remind me of the Askren-Gavin scramble where Askren finally pulled away in the Finals a few years ago.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

I agree vak, it reminds me of welchs teammate herbert trying to roll with a better roller. Herbert needed to use his size and strength and stay in good position keep it simple and play it close to the vest. Winston showed the firs time he beat up on welch that if he plays his game he can win. He played welch's game this time and got handled.

Both kids are excellent wrestlers and true class acts. I expect each to win a title before they are done. With cooperman likely to join the rutgers staff and becker already on board i think winston will develop his mat skills and his scrambling. He is already a top notch physical speciman with great takedowns once he rounds out his game he will be amazing. Once Welch physically develops he will become dominant. He already has great technique, mat skills, scrambling, and poise. I look forward to these to studs putting on excellent performances over the next few years.