Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intermat Top 10 Wrestlers of 2000's

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Default Re: Intermat Top 10 Wrestlers of 2000's

Well when Rosholt, Roller, and Hendricks started fighting Rosholt was actually the top prospect of the three and he looked good in his WEC fight and Dana even wanted him to be on TUF, but he wanted to get in the old fashioned way. People forget he beat Chris Leben before Kendall Grove submitted him out of the UFC and after that Johnny just took off. As for his regular season losses I was always under the impression he wasn't really turning it on the postseason he just turned it off during the regular season, he cruised a lot.
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    You have to attribute it to a certain amount of it to luck as well. Rosholt was a very good wrestlers who did not have bad matches at NCAAs and many of the guys that "should" have beat him did collapse (Greg Jones his FR year). He was never the #1 seed at NCAAS and he never had to beat the #1 seed to win.

In MMA he always looked horrible striking and I have read analysis that he was promoted to the UFC before he was ready.
    Hilariously, I'm pretty sure Rosholt was the #1 seed the only year he took 3rd.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

You have to attribute it to a certain amount of it to luck as well. Rosholt was a very good wrestlers who did not have bad matches at NCAAs and many of the guys that "should" have beat him did collapse (Greg Jones his FR year). He was never the #1 seed at NCAAS and he never had to beat the #1 seed to win.

In MMA he always looked horrible striking and I have read analysis that he was promoted to the UFC before he was ready.
    Jones won the weight the only year he and Jake were in the same bracket. As a freshman he beat returning runner up Greg Parker who had beat him earlier in the year, Josh Lambrecht who had beat him earlier in the year, and Scott Barker who had majored him two weeks before. Maybe they all collapsed, maybe Jake wrestled really well.

I did some more research and he lost BJ Padden three times during his senior year but was on the opposite side of the bracket and Padden got upset by Phil Davis.
    Rosholt also only won one Big 12 title. CAn't argue that wasn't a very good wrestler, but I think you need more than NCAA title to be the among the top of the decade.

Ban, I believe I saw the same fight as you where Rosholt was just a punching bag and was able to pull through and get a win. Showed his toughness, but not a good strategy for MMA where the gloves are so small.

I would put Askren #2, just because I value how good they were at the end of their career's more than results at the beginning of the career. His Junior and Senior season are the most dominant of the decade.

I also do have an issue ranking Rosholt that high. He had fantastically clutch NCAA performances, but never had an undefeated and never was seeded #1 coming into the tournament. If the list is just about NCAA performances then he deserves the high ranking, but if you are evaluating the entire career he does not deserve to be #4. He had twenty losses. Look at the records and accomplishments of the guys behind.
    I would have to disagree. I believe that NCAA all-americans and championships would be more important than record, even if only slightly. Rosholt was a 3-time champion, which none of the guys below him were. That said, I would keep Askren ahead of him, and move Varner ahead of Konrad/Pendleton, but Konrad would just beat out Mocco for the 10th spot based on head to head. Just my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by amlan74 View Post
    I would have to disagree. I believe that NCAA all-americans and championships would be more important than record, even if only slightly. Rosholt was a 3-time champion, which none of the guys below him were. That said, I would keep Askren ahead of him, and move Varner ahead of Konrad/Pendleton, but Konrad would just beat out Mocco for the 10th spot based on head to head. Just my humble opinion.
    NCAA championships should definitely be the most important, but when you are looking at wrestlers of the decade I think everything should be considered. None of the wight classes that he won seem extra tough when I look at them. He is not on OK State's top 20 for career wins or winning percentage.
    Look at the guys behind him on the list, they were all incredible. Combined the other nine guys have 5 losses in Jr and Senior seasons while Rosholt had 7.

THis kind of thing just makes you realize how incredibly talented some of these guys are, and how high the bar is set in terms of credentials. We have numerous four time finalists (varner + Mocco) who didn't even crack the top 10 list, how crazy is that?
    Gold is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    THis kind of thing just makes you realize how incredibly talented some of these guys are, and how high the bar is set in terms of credentials. We have numerous four time finalists (varner + Mocco) who didn't even crack the top 10 list, how crazy is that?
    Welcome to twt Lost!
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.