149: Lance Palmer vs. Tyler Meek
    157: Sean Nemec vs. Brendan Beucler
    165: Colt Sponseller vs. Ross Ambrose
    174: Alex Picazo vs. Tommy Priestley
    184: Mike Pucillo vs. Wes Bergman
    197: John Weakley vs. Zack Weinrich
    285: J.D. Bergman vs. Corey Morrison or Eric DiAgosta

Default Re: Ohio State Wrestle-Off Matches

There were a couple of changes in the line ups last night and I don't know much more about the reasons why. Both involved big name guys sitting out. Mike Pucillo and Colt Sponseller both sat out last night and in the case of 165 Robel Campbell bumped up to 165 to wrestle Ross Ambrose.

I didn't take notes, so this is how it went down as well as I can remember.

126 - Nikko Triggas pretty much wrestled a greco match with Harrington and won by fall at around 2 1/2 minutes into the first. Triggas looked considerably stronger than Harrington and dictated the match from the whistle. He eventually caught Harrington in a bit of a sloppy head and arm and stuck him. Not much scoring before the fall, but Triggas hit a nice knee pick off of a front headlock that ended out of bounds. Both guys looked really aggresive which was nice to see and Triggas throws and ability to put Harrington straight to his back (out of bounds) multiple times got the crowd into it early.

133 - Reece Humphrey won pretty easily but for some reason I can't remember the score. Anyway it was just a decision with Humphrey controlling the match and tempo throughout. Livingston looked a ton bigger than last year and obviously won't have any strength issues in moving up. Humphrey seemed to be able to score takedowns anytime he actually pushed the action, but it looked like he was content to secure the win.

149 - This one ended as expected with Palmer working his powerhalf to perfection. He took Meek down within seconds of the start of the match and dominated throughout riding tough and turning Meek multiple times before finally securing the fall.

157 - Nemec was just dominating in securing a 16-0 tech fall. Beucler just seemed to have no way of countering the multiple tilts Nemec was using and this one was over quick. We'll just have to wait and see how things shake out between Nemec and Johnstone here.

165 - Robel Campbell filled in for Sponseller here and ended up winning an 8-2 decision with tons of riding time. Campbell had a few really nice takedowns and rode pretty tough. He had a nice cradle locked up in the third but Ambrose did a nice job of fighting it off. Campbell made what I thought was a freshman mistake tactically in the third. Up 7-1 with riding time secured with just over a minute to go and having taken Ambrose down three times he didn't kick him out and go for the bonus points one more takedown would have given him. Ambrose ended up getting out with less than 20 seconds left anyway, but I'm sure in a real match the coaches would have given him that kind of instruction.

174 - Picazo won in his typical fashion. Just enough scoring to win and the rest of the time using his strength and those massive legs to fight off anything Priestley tried to generate offensively.

197 - Weakley hung on to win in the most competitive match of the night. Weakley got the first takedown with a beautiful double and followed that up in the first with a nice underhook counter to a Weinrich shot that ended up with Weinrich on his back, but with Weakley in an odd position and unable to secure the fall. The rest of the match was a fantastic effort by Weinrich to come back only to fall just short. Again, I forgot to write down scores, but I'm thinking it ended up 10-9 or 10-8, for some reason I think it was a one point win because I was thinking that Weinrich's last takedown happened with too little time left to kick Weakley out and go for the tie with another takedown. Either way, lots of up tempo wrestling out of the big guys. I'm actually expecting to see Weinrich in the line-up when the final decision is made. Weakley just looked a little raw and unfinished compared to Weinrich, but that's to be expected from a true freshman. Either way, 197 looks like a bright spot for the bucks for at least the next 4-5 years.

285 - In the match up of former 197 pounders, Bergman was pretty much in control of the match when he tweaked his ankle. An attempt was made by Bergman to continue, but a few minutes later the coaches made the smart decision and ended it. A little anti-climatic for the fans, but hey, I'd rather have him healthy for the real matches.

Overall a pretty good night of wrestling. A few thousand turned out which was nice to see and we got a glimps of the future of Ohio State wrestling with the likes of Triggas, Humphrey, Livingston, Palmer, Nemec, Weakley and Morrison taking to the mat. All of which really came out and pushed the action and wrestled an up tempo style that's good to see.
    Last edited by therick; 10-26-2007 at 09:18 AM.

Oh, I almost forgot........I doubt they're available to the public, but the team wrestling shoes were kinda cool. They basically looked like old 1985 air jordans. The black and red ones......anyway, I thought it was pretty cool lookin'

http://http://www.theozone.net/wrest...wrestleoff.htm

A better overall write up than mine with info on the injuries...........

good stuff, keep bringing the "inside" Ohio State scoop....
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by therick View Post
    http://http://www.theozone.net/wrest...wrestleoff.htm

A better overall write up than mine with info on the injuries...........
    Quite a few pinfalls...
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

"good stuff, keep bringing the "inside" Ohio State scoop...."

Quite a change. Two years ago, TOSU wrestle offs would have been met with a large dose of indifference.

Now it's beginning to grip the state. By "state" I mean fans, coaches, and wrestlers. A couple of thousand in attendence? I don't know if that's accurate, but compared to prior years........WOW.

Seems to me that state should an overwhelming base of support...just took landing some hometown talent on that roster to get people excited again....
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by LkwdSteve View Post
    "good stuff, keep bringing the "inside" Ohio State scoop...."

Quite a change. Two years ago, TOSU wrestle offs would have been met with a large dose of indifference.

Now it's beginning to grip the state. By "state" I mean fans, coaches, and wrestlers. A couple of thousand in attendence? I don't know if that's accurate, but compared to prior years........WOW.

I really don't know the actual total, but the stands looked close to as full as they are for a bigten dual. Which, I think was averaging something like 3000 last year. Coach Ryan did a smart thing and scheduled the matches right after the conclussion of a two day "coaches clinic". The coaches just stayed for the matches and then they opened the doors at $5 a head cash only.

I couldn't agree more that there's been a total change in the mentality around here toward tOSU wrestling. It's nice to see