Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minny=2010 National Champs

Default Re: Minny=2010 National Champs

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    I thought Ness was 4th freshman year?
    5th.

Got majored by Haze in the semi's, then lost to Esco in the consi semi's before coming back and pinning Blanc to finish up.

For some reason I thought he was a 2nd, 3rd, 4th guy and then just by fate would line himself up nicely for the 1st place title next year. Now I have to rethink my strategy.

I am intrigued by this thread...

Known comodities in Sanders, Ness, Thorn, Schlatter, and to a lesser extent Berhow mean that if some of these young guys fulfill their potential this predicition may not be that far off.

It is safe to assume that Mason and Dietchler will be competitive in the weight classes they are in based on who is graduating. I won't get into who may be moving up or down.

I've seen Geiger wrestle and he is a beast. I believe he can come right in and compete with the top two in the big ten (Brown and Beatty). He had some things to work on but I am hoping that a redshirt year in the Gopher wrestling room has given him the oppotunity to imporve. Although Sonny Yohn's record does not indicate it, he wrestled pretty good at the end of the year. I see him taken a huge step forward in a year where he will come into it completely healthy. 184 is Pucillo's and Keddy's and you known Blanton will improve but I am not that high on Biondo (although Yohn lost to him this year) and Kissel. Basically I think he will be right in the mix next season.

The only spot that is wide open is 174. I can see Glasser moving up to compete with Kaleb Young, Matt Everson, and Cody Yohn. Each of those 4 have their drawbacks but I think that competition between them can only be good for the improvment of each of them and the team. Keep in mind that although J likes to have freshmen redshirt he will put one in the line-up right away if he believes the kid can compete and solidify the line-up so the wild card at 174 is incoming freshman Alec Ortiz.

All in all, I see this coming down to the Gophers and Hawkeyes in the big ten. Ohio State will be good but I believe that the match-ups don't fall in their favor against either MN or IA.

Olympic Champ

Um. Iowa State sent 10 wrestlers to NCAAs this year. All 10 are returning next year. Of those 10, 6 have been All-Americans. The ones who haven't yet earned that status are Tyler Clark, Mitch Mueller, Duke Burk, and Jerome Ward.

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Um. Iowa State sent 10 wrestlers to NCAAs this year. All 10 are returning next year. Of those 10, 6 have been All-Americans. The ones who haven't yet earned that status are Tyler Clark, Mitch Mueller, Duke Burk, and Jerome Ward.
    Yeah, they'll be in the mix, like the top 3, but outside of Varner and Zabriskie I don't see any national champs and I think the Hawkeyes and Gophers have the edge in the other match-ups (opinion) albeit not a wide gap. Upon first glance, Gallick would appear to have the edge on Thorn but I see it the other way, again just an opinion.

Olympic Champ

As the Hawkeyes showed this year, you don't have to have any national champs to win a national title.

In any case, there should be some outstanding match-ups amongst the teams mentioned, and I look forward to next year.

As the Hawkeyes showed this year, you don't have to have any national champs to win a national title.

In any case, there should be some outstanding match-ups amongst the teams mentioned, and I look forward to next year.
    You are right about that. All I was really trying to illustrate was that those two weight classes are the only ones where I have them favored against either MN or IA. I should have illustrated my point differently.

Oh dont get me wrong I understand that ISU and Iowa both remain stacked this year, I'm just a gopher fan and I think the gophers have the firepower to pull it off next season.

Remember the gophers were supposed to be a massive favorite last year when a relatively unproven group of Iowa recruits broke into the lineup and started making some waves, I think we all remember how that went down.

As for 174 I think it will work out in the end and our starter their will be able to hang with the top guys in the country.

P.S. it is likely Biondo moves down to his natural weight class of 174 next year now that Luke has graduated, he was never a 184 pounder.
    Gold is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    P.S. it is likely Biondo moves down to his natural weight class of 174 next year now that Luke has graduated, he was never a 184 pounder.
    He wrestled 197 last year. Is he really that small?