Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 Best Wrestlers: 2000-2009 (Criteria Modified)

Default Re: 25 Best Wrestlers: 2000-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Oliverbush View Post
    I don't know Vak, Metcalf's 1/2 does trump Caldwell's 1/5, but do you really think Metcalf is better than him? Caldwell is 2-0 against Metcalf including in the NCAA finals and a fall during the regular season. He also is clearly better right now and unless you think Metcalf was better than he is now at an earlier part of his career, it's pretty clear that Caldwell is the better wrestler. Today's Caldwell is much better than last years Caldwell. Schlatter has a better resume than Metcalf, 1,3,7 but you're at the front of the charge is saying Metcalf is better than Schlatter. One must be consistant on these things Zapp
    One must know what one is talking about before one gets into these debates. Jensen does his lists basedo nthe accomplishments of the individual wrestlers. Schlatter could be in front of Metcalf with the extra AA finish, but Metcalf may get the edge because of two Finals to one. I won't even get into the debate that you're trying to bait me into about metcalf's record against Caldwell.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by gg121and2 View Post
    Juergens?
    Wasn't on my list last year, thats why I didn't list him in my last post.

With two titles, two thirds and a 120-13 career record I'm probably going to be awful hardpressed to keep him off this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    One must know what one is talking about before one gets into these debates. Jensen does his lists basedo nthe accomplishments of the individual wrestlers. Schlatter could be in front of Metcalf with the extra AA finish, but Metcalf may get the edge because of two Finals to one. I won't even get into the debate that you're trying to bait me into about metcalf's record against Caldwell.
    Smart man. I never debate people on things that i am wrong about. I can respect you catching on to that and taking a page out of my book. I am proud of you Zapp
    Lets go Brent!

I don't know if Caldwell is honestly better. Not at all making excuses but watching the match, I felt Metcalf looked sluggish. Possibly sick. Just not the Metcalf we are used to seeing. Not taking anything away from Caldwell he wrestled a great match, and obviously wanted it more. However I still think Metcalf is the better wrestler....

Quote Originally Posted by sentry456 View Post
    I don't know if Caldwell is honestly better. Not at all making excuses but watching the match, I felt Metcalf looked sluggish. Possibly sick. Just not the Metcalf we are used to seeing. Not taking anything away from Caldwell he wrestled a great match, and obviously wanted it more. However I still think Metcalf is the better wrestler....
    I think Metcalf looked that way because of Caldwell more then anything. He really wrestled the perfect match to stop Metcalf. He avoided tie ups at all costs, played the outside, kept a hand in Metcalf's face, and scrambled like a madman. He maximized his advantages, his length and his speed. It was beautiful, really, once you get over the disappointment.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by sentry456 View Post
    They are two completely opposite styles.

Metcalf, very methodical, classical create opportunities, work the angles, a wrestling droid.

Caldwell, wait, capitalize of the opportunties and openings that are presented, then let'er rip.

Caldwell tamed his style a bit during the season, was a bit more selective of the opportunities and avoided putting himself at risk. For final, he let it all hang out to get the early lead and force Metcalf to become overly aggressive leaving himself open. One significant difference in the final, Caldwell demonstrated a trendous ability to counter Metcalf's best shots, scramble and end up on the offensive side. Virtually was able to counter Metcalf's TD's this after after he had you in his grasp, Caldwell not only countered, he reversed the scoring opportunity, very much Baskrenesque.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    It was beautiful, really, once you get over the disappointment.
    The most beautiful thing was all the heart with which he wrestled. I don't think I'd seen anyone wrestle that fired up in a long time.

The performance by Caldwell in the finals is by definition Bringing your A game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    The most beautiful thing was all the heart with which he wrestled. I don't think I'd seen anyone wrestle that fired up in a long time.
    And adding to that, the whole freakin arena was into making it just so incredible. The first two takedowns brought down the house. Right before he threw the headlock I had a flash back of him wrestling Lang and the crowd was on their feet then. Its his way of wrestling of just going balls out that makes his matches exciting.