Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three and Four-time NCAA champs

Default Re: Three and Four-time NCAA champs

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    Thanks for that summary. So, if I count right there are 14 schools that have had at least 1 3-time champ (although I'm not sure that all of TJ Jaworksy's were for UNC; he started out at Ok St). Only 4 schools have had more than 1 3-time champ (Iowa, Ok St, Iowa St AND Lock Haven). Interesting that Lock Haven is one of only 4 schools with more than one 3-time champ.
    All of Jaworsky's were at UNC. I believe he missed AA as a freshman, transferred and then won it the next three years.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Thanks for that summary. So, if I count right there are 14 schools that have had at least 1 3-time champ (although I'm not sure that all of TJ Jaworksy's were for UNC; he started out at Ok St). Only 4 schools have had more than 1 3-time champ (Iowa, Ok St, Iowa St AND Lock Haven). Interesting that Lock Haven is one of only 4 schools with more than one 3-time champ.
    Am I missing something here? The only 3 time champ I see from Lock Haven is Gray Simons (Lock Haven) 1960-1962, who is the other?

Quote Originally Posted by amlan74 View Post
    Am I missing something here? The only 3 time champ I see from Lock Haven is Gray Simons (Lock Haven) 1960-1962, who is the other?
    You're absolutely right. I guessing scrolling down, I thought I saw Lock Haven twice. My bad. Thanks for the correction.

Shane--thanks for the clarification about Jaworsky. I wasn't sure if his first had come at OSU, but obviously not. How many starters transfer from OSU to UNC? I know that Meade transferred to WVU, but his case was a bit particular.

I've been aware for a long time that PSU has never had more than a 2-time NCAA champ--the only ones since I started following PSU wrestling in the 1960's were: Andy Matter, Jeff Prescott and Kerry McCoy. We're obviously hoping that the current team will get our first of many 3-time NCAA champs.

I was looking on the Minnesota website and note that Minnesota has had 4 2-time NCAA champs but they've never had a 3-timer either.

I know that Iowa, Ok St, Iowa St (and presumably Oklahoma) have had quite a number of 3-timers (and 4-timers in the case of Ok St and Iowa St). What other schools have had a 3-time NCAA champ? I can think of Caruso from Lehigh, Hubbard from Michigan, Kemp from Wisconsin, Ricky Bonomon of Bloomsburg off the top of my head.
    I see Andy Matter's name listed here. How about Brett Matter?
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Quote Originally Posted by leglace View Post
    I see Andy Matter's name listed here. How about Brett Matter?
    1X-
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.