Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paul Donahoe - Grappling with scandal -Unapologetic wrestler starts over after controversial website shoot

Default Re: Paul Donahoe - Grappling with scandal -Unapologetic wrestler starts over after controversial website shoot

Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    no one got it over there. This forum is smarter
    yes, some of the threads over there are ridiculous. i see why people over here make fun of it often.

Default Re: Paul Donahoe - Grappling with scandal -Unapologetic wrestler starts over after controversial website shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob311 View Post
    Great story about a good kid who, despite Tom Osborne's claims, got railroaded!.

As an ISU fan, I am kinda glad he is out of the big 12 (j/k)
    Seriously, as a fan of wrestling in general and of Paul, it sickens me what they did to him. Dismissal was an overly harsh punishment. They should have just made him pay back the money and suspend him for a meet or two. One only has to compare Tom's treatment of Lawrence Phillips after his domestic assault on his girlfriend with his treatment of Paul to understand how unfair this was.

I hope it works out for him this year and he can win himself another national title.
    Donahoe got railroaded? Who accepted the money and the plane ticket? Who agreed to do so many things reflecting questionable character? Did they put a gun to his head and make him do it? Nah. Also, dislocated shoulder? I was there in St. Louis and talked with Paul after his third-place match and even he said it was nothing. Now, he wants to make himself look like the gutsiest guy ever. Seriously, I've been around him enough to know that he's a very talented wrestler, but I'm not at all feeling sorry for him. When are we going to start holding people responsible for their actions and their decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by Krusher00 View Post
    Donahoe got railroaded? Who accepted the money and the plane ticket? Who agreed to do so many things reflecting questionable character? Did they put a gun to his head and make him do it? Nah. Also, dislocated shoulder? I was there in St. Louis and talked with Paul after his third-place match and even he said it was nothing. Now, he wants to make himself look like the gutsiest guy ever. Seriously, I've been around him enough to know that he's a very talented wrestler, but I'm not at all feeling sorry for him. When are we going to start holding people responsible for their actions and their decisions?
    Did you even read my whole post? Or did you stop after I said he got railroaded? I thought he should have been punished. No question he did something wrong and should have been suspended for some meets. However, complete dismissal from a team just for posing nude and accepting some money. BFD!!! Suspend him for some meets and make him pay the money back and get over it. I say he got railroaded because he was dismissed from the team, whereas Lawrence Phillips (who beat the crap out of his girlfriend) was only suspended for like 2 games. Serious inequality there. That my unlearned friend is what you call getting railroaded!

I love how everyone acts like what he did was some kind of crime that he should have to "take responsibility for". Clearly he has had to take responsibility because its been a huge public embarrassment to him and made him the but of 39438493849 jokes among the wrestling community. I still have yet to see a Donahoe reference without someone popping in with some kind of sexual pun.

The bottom line is no matter how morally objectional you might find his actions he didnt commit a crime or break a law, and was punished much more severely then several athletes who have.
    Gold is an idiot.

Paul Donahoe is a national champion, in every sense of the word. His passion for wrestling, motivation, unbelievable ‘survival’ instincts and work ethic are exemplary, a role model for all younger wrestlers.
    However, Donahoe was na?ve to think no one would ever ‘connect the dots’ between his work & his good name. But, no federal, state or local laws were violated and, obviously, if he continued to wrestle, no NCAA rules were compromised.<O</O
    <O</O

On the other hand, I’m outraged by the despicable & potentially illegal manner in which the University of Nebraska wrongfully terminated Donahoe from their program, inflicting unimaginable emotional & financial pain on this young man. Strict federal privacy laws for universities may have been violated by the ‘willful & intentional knee-jerk reaction’ of athletic director Tom Osborne & wrestling coach, Mark Manning. A simple Google search of Donahoe’s name & the absolute ton of garbage now associated with it may end up costing the taxpayers of Nebraska millions. <O</O
    <O</O

No doubt about it, Osborne & Manning’s actions will significantly hurt Nebraska’s athletic program, particularly recruiting in large states such as California, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Virginia, Michigan & Ohio. Smart parents and talented high school athletes will be horrified the same thing could happen again. When a trip to the woodshed was warranted, Osborne & Manning ‘kicked the kids under the bus, started the bus, ran the bus over them, and then apologized that the kids spilled their blood on the streets of Lincoln.’<O</O
    <O</O

Hooray for Edinboro University and Athletic Director Baumgartner & Coach Flynn for taking a risk and helping a ‘bloodied wrestler’ finish his match. <O</O
    Last edited by osubucks; 03-28-2009 at 07:52 AM. Reason: spacing

Multiple reply. First of all the Donahoe and Phillips situations being compared is an apples-oranges debate. NU wasn't going to go on probation for what Phillips did, but could have gotten probation for the actions of Mr. Donahoe and Mr. Jordan. And considering the messy situation that Manning inherited when Tim Neumann was fired, you know they're skittish about dealing with the NCAA again. Plus, Donahoe's dismissal wasn't just about the photo shoot, it was a second violation of the extra-benefits rule and came just a month after he was arrested by Lincoln police for refusing to break up a party at his house and lipping off to the police.

Second, OSUbucks sounds like Donahoe's attorney. What was the illegal manner in which Donahoe was dismissed? Which privacy laws were violated? Many like to throw that vitriol out and make themselves sound so knowledgable, but there's no substance to the argument put forth. What's the basis of a potential lawsuit, that somebody took away his scholarship?

And lastly, if you look at NU's 2009 recruiting class you'll note that the Huskers got top-notch recruits from California, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Missouri. Yeah, they're worried about that bus.

To sum up, what Phillips did was reprehensible and illegal. What Donahoe did was not illegal but was in violation of NCAA rules (a second time in less than three months that he violated the same rule). The fact is, he was warned by the university to walk a straight-and-narrow path and couldn't control himself. OSUbucks has no substance to his arguments and, no, Nebraska's recruiting isn't being hurt as he says it will be.

World Champ

The Donahoe "transfer" is old news: great athlete who did a dumb thing for money.

But this is the about the only time the Boston Glob(e) ever had college wrestling on the front page of the sports section. The state high school tourney gets a little coverage, and weekend team scores get the fine print in season, but that's generally it. No mention of a real wrestling story like Darrion Caldwell and the NCAA results, at least that I saw. Then folks want to know why wrestling isn't more popular in Massachusetts, or why the Glob about keeps losing money and cutting staff.

The Donahoe transfer is fresh news as the rest of the world found out about it during the excellent ESPN coverage of the tournament last weekend.

And, to Krusher 00, I am not Donahoe's attorney and do not even know the young man. In addition, please be careful not to read more into my posting than was there.

As a parent of 2 curent college-aged sons, I've been surprised by the extent federal laws prohibit the release of information to the parents who pay the bills. At a large public university, I could not even discuss the benefits of taking a particular course with my son's advisor without faxing to her a release signed by my son giving her permission to speak with me. And, at a private university during parent orientation just two years ago, we were told of how a student had dropped out and the parents living in Florida still were sending her money, but never saw her grades. They called the university & the university could not even confirm to the parents that the daughter had dropped out of the university. Needless to say, I was shocked to read the press release issued on behalf of the University of Nebraska dismissing Donahoe and Jordon.

Finally, I will wager a bet with anyone that University of Nebraska's legal counsel was not consulted prior to issuing the press release by Osborne & Manning. How stupid - they should have known better! And, yes, following the extensive coverage of the wrestling tournament, it will impact Nebraska. In fact, ESPN repeatedly mentioned that Nebraska's dismissal of Donahoe may have cost them a team national championship in 2009.
    Last edited by osubucks; 03-29-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: spacing

World Champ

Most of my friends who don't follow college wrestling asked me about this last Fall. But if ESPN is someone's primary source of sports information, I could see how this might seem new. As for your "outrage outrage by the despicable & potentially illegal manner in which the University of Nebraska wrongfully terminated Donahoe from their program, inflicting unimaginable emotional & financial pain on this young man," he would have to prove substantial damages to win a substantial lawsuit. I'd say that a 2nd place finish at Nationals doesn't demonstrate much damage to his wrestling career. He's a tough kid and a great wrestler. Nor will this have much effect on Nebraska's ability to recruit in large states, where most parents don't know what a woodshed looks like, but they do know what happens if nude photos of your kid get published on Youtube. I did like the "blood on the streets of Lincoln" metaphor. Nice closing counselor!
    Last edited by grapplefan; 03-30-2009 at 10:16 AM.