Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jimmy Lawson Transferring to Penn State

Default Re: Jimmy Lawson Transferring to Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I see what you're saying here Steve, but I disagree. Gable had to recruit in a time without internet and social networking. He had to actually go out and find talent and convince them to go to Iowa. Coaches now-a-days can watch matches on the internet, get in contact with HS coaches and wrestlers through computer......It is just easier, IMO, to recruit now. Heck, with all the social media, Cael probably doesn't even have to do a lot of his recruiting. I'm sure other wrestlers in the PSU program and fans of PSU are facebook friends with the HS wrestlers and help in the recruiting.
    But all coaches are on the same level playing field in both eras. Cael doesn't have different access in those regards than any other coach now. Gable probably had more of "his fair advantage" in recruiting back then, just like Wooden did, because "everyone" wanted to wrestle at Iowa under Gable. So I think Gable had, besides the initial appeal of his success in hs, college and the Olympics (which is Cael's starting point also) two factors in his favor in recruiting after a few years - a dynasty and unlimited scholarships. How did wind up with the NJ kids he did? I don't think he had to do a lot of convincing.

On the other hand, to a certain extent, I think Cael likes being in the PA/NJ/OH/NY vortex because he can see those wrestlers live and visit them in person more readily. That, I think, is his current "extra" advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Bobby T aint scared.
    I am sure the rest of the guys at 285 welcome the competition.

Again, I can see what you're saying, Steve. But we aren't comparing what Gable did against his competition in his era and what Cael is doing against his in his era. I thought we were comparing coaches regardless of era. In that way, I think what Gable did is much more impressive as far as recruiting goes because there wasn't the easy access to everything back then. Yes, Cael would have had to do it that way too if he were coaching then, but he wasn't and we can't just assume that he would have done as good of a job. If we look at things that way then I would contend that Gable would be better than Cael now because of the internet and social networking. But we don't know.

As far as scholarships go, I think that evens out. You pointed out (or someone else did) that Cael is doing this with only 9.9 scholarships. So what? Iowa wasn't the only one with unlimited scholarships. Like kr pointed out, Oklahoma State and Iowa State had them too and were even more prestigious at the time. Gable overcame all of that and built was has to be considered one of the best college dynasties in NCAA history. Cael has only won one. If he gets 9 in a row, I then think he can enter the conversation. In all fairness, right now it looks like he may just do that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    Herky has shown that NO MATTER what PSU does he will criticize them. If PSU had given Lawson a partial schoolie he would have found fault with that.
    So Herkey is an Iowa homer, and tries to diminish what other schools do while propping up Iowa, and you're a PSU homer that tries to diminish what other schools do while propping up PSU. Got it, can we please move on to another topic? I think that there is some wrestling event going on this coming week, let's talk about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

I think it is way too premature to compare Cael's coaching success with Gable's. I'm really excited at how quickly Cael has brought PSU up to the top echelon. But there's only been 1 championship so far. You can't compare the two records--it's apples and oranges. Now I'm hopeful that 20 years down the road we'll see a lot more. But we don't know. I'm just enjoying the ride right now and we'll let history play itself out.

In terms of recruiting (not coaching success) I do think that they share something very much in common as was already noted. Many wrestlers really wanted to wrestle for Gable and more and more are really wanting to wrestle for Cael. That's a huge advantage. Plenty want to and choose to go elsewhere both during Gable's time and now during Cael's. But it is a great headstart in the recruiting wars.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post

Herky has shown that NO MATTER what PSU does he will criticize them. If PSU had given Lawson a partial schoolie he would have found fault with that.
    One thing is for certain and that is that this statement is complete bullshit. My point was that if any team, not just penn state is offering full scholarships they won't have much money to go around. The talent will start to thin out at any school that does this not just penn state.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

They need to go private like Lehigh and Cornell so they can have grant in aid and get 10 to 12 kids a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    So Herkey is an Iowa homer, and tries to diminish what other schools do while propping up Iowa, and you're a PSU homer that tries to diminish what other schools do while propping up PSU. Got it, can we please move on to another topic? I think that there is some wrestling event going on this coming week, let's talk about that.
    You don't ever hear me dimishing other schools. There's the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    One thing is for certain and that is that this statement is complete bullshit. My point was that if any team, not just penn state is offering full scholarships they won't have much money to go around. The talent will start to thin out at any school that does this not just penn state.
    Well you did say
    Keep handing out those "full scholarships". Eventually the talent will thin out.
    & though it was not specific the 2 previous posts were regarding Penn State & no other school. If you want to change your story I guess that that is your prerogative.