Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Brackets (PDF) & other info

Default Re: NCAA Brackets (PDF) & other info

Looks like DSJ may get a rematch with Pena.

I can't believe that AMU is the 3 seed. I wonder how they got to that decision. He is undefeated and the highest returning pacer from last season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

AMU at the #3 is INSANE?! How in the world is that justified??? I think that Pena DSJ rematch if it happens will be very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    I can't believe that AMU is the 3 seed. I wonder how they got to that decision. He is undefeated and the highest returning pacer from last season.
    Runs completely counter to the standard they set last year when they gave Hall the #1 seed.

I guess they're penalizing him for missing the month of December.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

What kills me is AMU only has 6 fewer matches than Ruth and Perry. Not sure what their reasoning there is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Runs completely counter to the standard they set last year when they gave Hall the #1 seed.

I guess they're penalizing him for missing the month of December.
    Is the seeding comittee mostly the same people year to year?
    Maybe a new crop of seeders has a different philosophy?
    Ruth has been dominant and has a 3rd from last year, but how do you seed Perry over Amu?

General Observations

125 - Well seeded, IMO. Penn State caught a nice break here, as I think Patterson is one of the few "top guys" who Megaludis has a better than average shot to beat. Toughest quarter is the 2-7 quarter (Sanders). Easiest is the 3-6 (Waters)

133 - Pretty much exactly what you'd expect, other than Carter getting a six seed. Toughest quarter is the 3-6 (Ramos), which is brutal. Easiest is Oliver's, which is as it should be.

141 - Seeding is pretty much as you'd expect here as well. Toughest quarter is the 3-6 (Marion) with two NCAA finalists in the quarter. Easiest is the 2-7 (Maple).

149 - I feel like Ness paid the price of wrestling a tougher schedule late, as guys in smaller conferences passed him when he lost to top notch guys while they wrestled most of the lesser guys in their conference. I see VonOhlen as a 3 seed and I can't get Eric Grajales curb stomping him out of my mind. Toughest quarter is the 2-7 (Parks) by a mile on the strength of the pig tail match with two quality wrestlers, which doesn't even mention Ness, Tessari, Mason, and Jantzen (the last two unseeded). Parks has a veritable minefield to make it through. Easiest quarter is Von Ohlen's which looks like a cake walk to me.

157 - St. John gets the #2 seed in a move that is surprising to some, I don't doubt. I think it's right. Fleming got SCREWED with a 6 seed, though. Hardest quarter is the 3-6 (Welch), thanks to Fleming being unfortunately put in there. Easiest is Dake's, who should cruise to the semis.

165 - Asper has been a strong #2 all year, and then drops to a 7? This is unconscionable. Hardest quarter is the 2-7 (Onufer) by a mile, since Onufer will have to beat Asper just to make the semifinals. Easiest quarter is probably the 1-8 (Taylor).

174 - I am enraged on Amuchastegui's behalf. A #3? He's the undefeated highest returning placer WHO ALSO BEAT THE 1 SEED! He missed time, but he also only has 6 fewer matches than Ruth. This is abysmal. Having said that, he should dance to the semis because his quarter is a cakewalk. Hardest quarter is the 2-7 (Perry).

184 - Steinhaus at 5 is terrible. He should probably be the 3 seed. Now he's stuck in a quarter with a guy he hasn't been able to do anything with in Bosak. Hardest quarter is the 1-8 (LeBlanc) on the strength of a brutal first round Loder-Gambrall match up. Easiest quarter is Hamlin's, who should waltz to the quarters and then to the Semifinals.

197 - Honeycutt at 2 makes no sense. Honeycutt was a solid 2 all year and lost in his conference final. Asper was the EXACT SAME THING and dropped to a 7. I like Honeycutt a lot, but this seeding just doesn't add up. Yohn and Burak got screwed here too. Hardest quarter is the 3-6 (Wilps) which contains Kissel, Burak, and Campolattano on top of Haynes and Wilps.

285 - Rey got the shaft here, especially since his first round match up is going to be WAY tougher than most will think. Chalfant is an athlete. Hardest quarter is the 4-5 (Rey). Easiest is the 3-6 (Jack)

Hawkeye Thoughts

125 - Definitely not happy to see Delgado on the same side. Not only that, but McDonough also has to face the tough, underseeded Mango, who is low because he spent most of the year getting banged around at 133.

133 - ANother tough road, including right out of the gate. Last year Ramos had the tough Cagnina in the first round, this year he gets an unnotice Pac 10 champ who's a tough kid. Even then, he's got Carter in the quarters, which is a ridiculous underseed. How is Carter 31-3 and seeded 6th behind 27-6 Futrell? Carter has more wins, less losses, and he's beaten the guy (Ramos) who has beaten FUtrell every time this season. Ramos is going to have a tough time holding seed here.

141 - Again, a tough seed for Iowa. Marion gets returning NCAA Finalist Boris Novachkov in the quarters. Now, I've always wanted to see this match up, as I like both guys, but that's a tough quarter. I'm not sure he makes it past Boris.

157 - St. John got a pretty reasonable draw. He's Pena, who beat him, but St. John is a different guy now. He also would have Alton to make the semis, and we know St. John CAN beat him.

165 - Evans got a rough draw here thanks to Asper's unbelievable drop to 7. In his quarter alone he's got the winner of GIllespie/Winston and he has Kyle Blevins first round. That's all top 15 guys. If he makes the quarters, he'll run into a guy who curbstomped him at Midlands. The 6 seed was much more manageable.

174 - Lofthouse got a peach of a draw here. He has a legitimate shot to make the NCAA semifinals.

184 - BRUTAL. This whole weight is brutal, but Gambrall getting Loder first round is tough. I know the draw is random, but he got an unfortunate draw to catch Loder. He can beat him, but it's a tough, tough match to have for your first at NCAA's.

HW - Telford's in the toughest quarter, but that's mostly on Rey's side of it. Telford has a relatively simple shot to the quarterfinals where he'll likely lose to Rey. No complaints here. If anything, Rey is seeded too low.
    Last edited by Zapp Brannigan; 03-08-2012 at 01:00 AM.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

125-10th seed
    If Nico gets by Patterson he will have Sanders in the Quarters.
    If he upsets Sanders he would probably get Waters then McD.
    If he loses to Sanders, gets into the RD12 & most likely will have to face Mele, Mango or Dijulius there to guarantee a AA.
    If he makes it to the RD8 then he will most likely face either Perelli or Morrison.
    In the Consi Semis he would get either Delgado or Bedelyon.

133-UNseeded
    If Martelotti loses to Oliver (thats for Gold) then he would get Lomas of CSB probably next or Shelton Mack who he also lost to in the last second during the reg season;
    If he upsets Oliver, he would probably make it to the Quarters and face Stevens/Quiroga Semis Colon/Futrell Finals Ramos/Steiber
    2nd round consi he would get either Steven Keith or Jordan Keller;
    3rd rd consi he would get either Kalil or Pennesi;
    If he makes it to the RD12 he would get Colon or Futrell;
    RD8 vs Stevens
    Consi Semis vs Ramos/Steiber

149-1st seed
    TANK-Villalonga, Sakaguchi, Quarters: Habat/Grajales, Semi: Vinson/Miller, Finals: Parks/Ness-Von Ohlen/Nauman

157-7th seed
    Dylan-2nd Round vs Jones/White, Quarters vs DSJ, Semis vs Welch/Fleming, Finals vs Dake/Peppleman/Sanjaa
    If he loses 2 DSJ, he would get probably Lister/Hickman in the RD12, RD8 Fleming/Green/Welch, Consi Semis Peppleman/Sanjaa, 3rd place Welch/DSJ

165-1st seed
    DT Lear, Wright/Cheza, Quarters Polz/Kokesh, Semis Abdurakhmonov/Evans, Finals Onufer/Sorenson/Yates

174-1st seed
    ED Dession. Creasey/Joseph, Quarters Munster/Spangler, Semis Lofthouse/Storley Finals Amuch/Perry

184-6th seed
    Q Ferguson, Cylmer, Quarters Bennett, Semis Hamlin/Ihnen Finals LeBlanc/Bosak/Steinhaus/Loder

197-UNseeded
    MM Meeks, Simaz, Quarters Hernandez/Powless, Semis Byers/Boley/Kennedy Finals Wilps/Honeycutt
    If Morgan loses to Simaz then in the consi 2nd round he probably gets Huntley/Burak/Campo then 3rd rd Hernandez/Powless, RD12 Honeycutt/Gonzalez/Yohn RD8 Wilps/Haynes Consi Semis Boley/Byers 3rd place Wilps/Honeycutt

285-6th seed
    Cam McCorlke, Lane, Quarters Jack, Semis Johnson/Nelson Finals Flores/ Rey/Telford
    If Cam loses in the quarters he will get Capone/Chalfant/Mardsen in the RD12 then Johnson/McMullan RD8, Consi Semis Rey/Telford/Flores & 3rd Place Jack/Nelson
    If he loses in the Semis, he would get Spencer/Rey/Telford RD8, etc.

Points breakdown below

POINTS/Cumulative

125-2/2
    two wins loses RD12

133-1/3
    Loss then 2 wins & RD12 loss

141-0/3
    N/A

149 20/23
    Frank winning championship not counting bonus

157-6.5/29.5
    7th place no bonus

165 20/49.5
    DT Champ no bonus

174 20/69.5
    Ed Champ no bonus

184 9/78.5
    QW 6th place no bonus

197 1.5/80
    Win Loss win loss in RD12 no bonus

285 9/89
    6th place for Cam no bonus

BONUS 22.25/111.25
    PSU has been doing about 25% of team score as bonus

Will that be enough to win?
    Have to do the other teams to figure out.
    I think Iowa might score more points (without the bonus) & wrestling to SEED

I think PSU will need one more placer to secure it.
    I think PSU will need about 119.5 to win it all.
    Another 7th & a 8th would get PSU 12 more points.
    Another 6th place would get 9.

Out of the 3 lowest seeds Nico has the best draw in terms of getting to be AA.
    Both FM & MM run into guys they lost to already.
    If they want to place they will have to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Fleming got SCREWED with a 6 seed, though.
    Good read overall. Another screw job seed here that I hadn't seen.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12