Thread: Robles new addition to ESPN coverage for the NCAA Championships

Default Robles new addition to ESPN coverage for the NCAA Championships

CBS/Turner moves Barkley off Selection Show – USATODAY.com

They key excerpt:
    "ESPN, says spokesman Mike Soltys, will formally announce today that Antony Robles will be an analyst on its coverage of the NCAA Wrestling Championship, which airs March 15-17 on ESPN, ESPNU and the ESPN3 broadband service. Robles, who was born with no right leg, won the NCAA 125-pound title last year after going 36-0 at Arizona State. He now does motivational speaking."

Default Re: Robles new addition to ESPN coverage for the NCAA Championships

Good luck to him. I hope he does well.

Do you think sometimes Robles would just like to be known as the 2011 National Champion at 125 rather than the 2011 National Champion at 125 born with no right leg? I mean this in all seriousness. That being said, what an absolutely amazing young man. My 8 year old still talks about him a year after that match when his teammates start whining and complaining.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    Do you think sometimes Robles would just like to be known as the 2011 National Champion at 125 rather than the 2011 National Champion at 125 born with no right leg? I mean this in all seriousness. That being said, what an absolutely amazing young man. My 8 year old still talks about him a year after that match when his teammates start whining and complaining.
    It is a fair question, but he is getting extra recognition and is working on a motivational career based on what he did with only one leg.
    Every other national champ with two legs does not get the attention he gets and in my opinion the extra attention is rightly deserved. What it takes be a national champ is amazing, doing it with one leg is extra special.

I have been watching Anthony Robles since his junior year in high school, and I had a chance to talk with him for a while last summer when he was working at a camp that I attended with my son. He is a tremendous young man who sets high expectations for himself and wants to teach others to do the same regardless of circumstance. He was gracious and generous with his time and attention to the wrestlers at the camp I attended and is intelligent and articulate. It seems to me that he has accepted the circumstances that he has and has adopted an attitude that he will do as well as he possibly can given whatever is around him. He freely admits that that attitude has come based on his Mother's influence and his experiences working through life with one leg. He just used what could have been a bad thing and made success out it. I expect he will continue to do so.

Thanks for that information...I have had some opportunities to see him speak as well but not live. It is good to see him honing his craft and spreading his positive influence.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."