Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Penn St. next year

Default Penn St. next year

I know it's way early to project this, but does anyone know Penn State's tentative projections for next year's line-up, most notably from 165-197? Does McIntosh RS? Does Taylor plan on moving up again? Does Ruth have trouble making 174? Does Wright, currently the only NC in the group move up for the good of the team, or is he a good fit at 197 regardless? Does Matt Brown get a chance to fit in somewhere? Does everyone stay at the same weight? Like I said, I know nothing is probably written in stone yet, just curious as to what has been heard.

Default Re: Penn St. next year

I believe we will see some combination of DT, Brown, Ruth, and quentin btwn 65.74.84 and 97. Mm redshirts imo.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

That was my understanding as well. McIntosh redshirts. Ruth and Wright move up. Brown goes where Taylor doesn't.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Molinaro is the bigger loss, IMO. Alton will still be good, but will he dominate the weight class like Molinaro did? A drop from a dominant 1 to a solid top 5 is significant.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Molinaro is the bigger loss, IMO. Alton will still be good, but will he dominate the weight class like Molinaro did? A drop from a dominant 1 to a solid top 5 is significant.
    I'm guessing A. Alton will be a lot better than his true freshman year and, with his mentality and pinning ability, will actually bring more team points in dual meets and maybe even tournaments. Saying that, it's going to be tough to top Frank's B1G performance this year. There's a reasonable chance that Alton could be #1 at 149 next year.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelNice View Post
    I know it's way early to project this, but does anyone know Penn State's tentative projections for next year's line-up, most notably from 165-197? Does McIntosh RS? Does Taylor plan on moving up again? Does Ruth have trouble making 174? Does Wright, currently the only NC in the group move up for the good of the team, or is he a good fit at 197 regardless? Does Matt Brown get a chance to fit in somewhere? Does everyone stay at the same weight? Like I said, I know nothing is probably written in stone yet, just curious as to what has been heard.
    On the PSU boards this talk almost never ends...

You also have to look at who will RS next year & over the next 3 years between Nico, Martelotti & Jimmy G. And if you get Matt B in the line up what do you do with Dirk Cowburn who could probably start at a majority of DI schools right now? My bet DC transfers to a PSAC school close to home. Derlan is at Clarion, Flynn @ Edinboro & Pataky is at Lock Haven, (All PSU ties).

Next year 141 will have Luke Frey off of RS to challenge Pearsall. 285 will see Gingrich for a year or two before the next few years break in some top hwt recruits.

Next year
    125 Nico/JG
    133 Martelotti/JG
    141 Pearsall/Frey
    149 A Alton
    157 D Alton
    165 Taylor/Brown
    174 Taylor/Brown
    184 Ed
    197 Q
    285 Gingrich

The year after would lose Pearsall & Q.
    Then you would have Frey @ 141 & MM back @ 197.
    If DC sticks around he could possibly finally crack the line up his Senior year along with then RS Soph Wes Phipps.

PSU will find a way to get Brown into the line-up. They're even talking if DT moves up to 174, that Brown would cut to 165. It's hard for me to see him down at that weight. But I think the coaching staff is thinking that DT stays at 165 and Brown moves in at 174. QW was bulking up last summer thinking he might go up to 197 last year (before they decided not to RS McIntosh). I think it's a pretty safe bet he'll move up next year. And, I gather Ruth would like to go up to 184.

I agree with Eisenhauer about A Alton. I think he will generate more dual meet points with his pinning, than FM. But it will be hard for him to top Molinaro in the NCAA showing. I think Alton will be significantly improved next year up a weight and with a RS year to adjust to college wrestling more.

I'll be very interested to see how Gingrich does at Hwt. He has come on this year in Open tournaments and is looking better. Wade will be hard to replace--especially in duals as the last 2 years he lost very few dual meets. It remains to be seen how many points need to be replaced at NCAA's. No matter what, I don't see how we will be as strong at Hwt next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    So you're saying replacing the likely undefeated national champion with a (very good) redshirt sophomore will be a bit of a drop off? Really, you think so Dr.?

I think Wade graduating leaves a bigger hole than Molinaro despite the fact that he isn't as good as Molinaro is. He doesn't have a replacement. I think Alton as a sophomore will be every bit as good as Molinaro was as a sophomore (this is key) with the possibility of hitting the level that Molinaro is at here in a couple of years.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12