Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congrats Matt Powless for his 119th win

Default Congrats Matt Powless for his 119th win

EVANSTON, Ill. - The Indiana University wrestling team (11-8) closed out the 2011-12 regular season with a 27-7 road loss to #18 Northwestern (11-4) Friday night. Postseason action is up next on the Hoosier docket, heading to the Big Ten Championships on March. 3-4.
    Friday evening's dual started with the 184-pound bout and back-to-back victories for Indiana. True freshman Luke Sheridan got it started the right way, topping Robert Kellogg in a 4-3 decision. Third-ranked Matt Powless then pushed IU ahead 7-0, recording his ninth major decision of the season in the 197-lbs. match-up.
    Powless' 10-2 win over John Schoen was the 119th of his career, giving him a share of sixth-place in the school's all-time rankings for career wins. He pulls even with current volunteer coach Brandon Becker, who also gathered 119 W's during his four years donning the Cream and Crimson (2005-08). Next on the list is Coyte Cooper (2000-04) in fifth place with 123 triumphs.
    Powless has not lost a match since Jan. 2 at the Southern Scuffle, rattling off 10 straight since his last defeat. Eight of those 10 W's have come with bonus points as well, including four pins. It marked his 30th win of the season, making it three consecutive 30-plus-wins years for Powless.
    Sheridan, meanwhile, improves to 16-13 during his rookie campaign; and is currently riding a four-bout winning streak.
    The 27-7 final score is a deceiving one as three Hoosiers lost by a lone point and/or in sudden victory. Adam Chalfant and Matt Ortega each came up just one point short while Ryan LeBlanc forced extra time against #12 Lee Munster.

COMPLETE RESULTS
    No. 18 Northwestern 27, Indiana 7
    184: Luke Sheridan (IU) dec Robert Kellogg (NU), 4-3 (3-0 IU)
    197: No. 3 Matt Powless (IU) maj dec John Schoen (NU), 10-2 (7-0 IU)
    Hwt: No. 13 Mike McMullan (NU) dec Adam Chalfant (IU), 5-4 (7-3 IU)
    125: No. 10 Levi Mele (NU) dec Zach Zimmer (IU), 9-4 (7-6 IU)
    133: Jameson Oster (NU) maj dec Joe Duca (IU), 11-0 (10-7 NU)
    141: Colin Shober (NU) dec Matt Ortega (IU), 4-3 (13-7 NU)
    149: Kaleb Friedley (NU) maj dec Geno Capezio (IU), 8-0 (17-7 NU)
    157: No. 2 Jason Welch (NU) maj dec Sawyer Morris (IU), 15-3 (21-7 NU)
    165: Pierce Harger (NU) dec Preston Keiffer (IU), 5-0 (24-7 NU)
    174: No. 12 Lee Munster (NU) dec Ryan LeBlanc (IU), 3-1 SV (27-7 NU)
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Default Re: Congrats Matt Powless for his 119th win

There is a nice 4-5 minute interview with MP on the Hoosiers web site . Matt also has a chance to become IU's first 4x Academic AA. A little known recruit with ambitions of ''being a 2 year starter '' he went 20-14 his RSF year then has won 30+ matches each successive year .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

That's an amazing accomplishment. I believe Sanders is on track for the same accolades.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Possible hijack here but is this dude related to the Notre Dame qb in the 90s (I think) named Ron Powless? I only ask b/c it's a strange name and they are both in Indiana and we all know that the Indiana family trees don't have many branches

I don't see that name under siblings .

PREP/PERSONAL
    Won the Indiana state championship in 2007 ... a four-time member of Team Indiana ... compiled a career record of 140-28 ... holds the school record for pins in a season (33) and career (79) ... his 51 wins in a season are also a school record ... a National Honor Society member ... also lettered twice in football ... the son of Jack and Annie Powless ... has three siblings, Katie Powless, Jamie Johnson and Heather Schroeder ... born on Jan. 10, 1989 ... currently doing graduate work, pursuing a master's degree in Psychology Counseling.

Just looked it up. The qb spelled his name Powlus. You can understand my confusion, though. They both did attend Indiana schools so I figured one of them just spelled his name wrong.

Matt's Sr. year in high school he was 51-0 with 33 Falls and received very little interest ? Unless you are a 3-4x State champ in Indiana no ONE knows your name .
    The frigging IU site has the basketball coaches picture on it !

Nice margin of victory for Powless--MD over Schoen! And interesting that LeBlanc took Munster to OT.

Ryan took Blanton and Heflin into SV as well.