Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: National Duals - 3 best and 3 worst aspects

Default Re: National Duals - 3 best and 3 worst aspects

To think that everything has to happen within a half day's drive of Minnesota or Iowa seem a bit myopic. It's 27 hours of driving (not counting stops to sleep, eat, gas, etc) to get to Ames to watch the "west" regional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dart Shark View Post
    People go to the forums to discuss the news, not find it.
    But some don't, there's a decent sized chunk of people who go to the forums for their news. Wake up the next day and want to find the results of the Iowa dual? For a lot of people they go their thematforums.com bookmark, quickest and easiest...

It's like people forget about the news because all they want to do is post? How is that OUR fault? We posted the news and information about the event in a highly visible spot on the main page of TheMat.com. There is absolutely no excuse for anyone to have missed it. Seriously.
    Yet I've never seen such an outpouring of anger (though admittedly on the same forums) complaining about coverage of an event that had great coverage. I found the coverage, it was dead obvious to me where to go. It was easy to find, yet a bunch of folks missed it an were pissed off about it. The forums are an island of coverage to many wrestling fans - it's silly but its a fact of life...

Not everyone browses the web the same, heck "facebook" is one of the top google searches because people don't know how to type facebook.com in the address bar! Instead of taking on the impossible task of changing people's browsing habits, lets give them yet another avenue to find coverage by way of a forum link on all the major players. This would have the double effect of generating early discussion if you post the coverage link days in advance. Would also nullify some of the folks who said "I didn't even know it was this weekend"

And I agree with you about the sticky thing - it's probably best just to do an "official national duals thread" or whatever. People miss sticky topics (heck look at how many people browse TheMat forums everyday and STILL don't know about themat.tv) and it'll be posted in so much that it'll achieve that status anyway.
    Last edited by Gantry; 02-15-2012 at 03:05 PM.

After re-reading, I could be grossly overestimating the amount of people that couldn't find coverage and it was likely a larger # in my head because of them complaining so loudly. Either way though, can't hurt if for nothing else than to not having to read through a litany of complaints...

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I really don't have specifics. Making it much more fan friendly than it was this year would be a start. I like what, I think it was quinn, was saying. Make it an attractive event for fringe fans. Have other things going on around the event to draw in people that would otherwise not have gone. Maybe marketing is the wrong term. How about having better teams? Is that marketing? I don't know. To go and watch Iowa beat up on a bunch of teams that offered no resistence at all was kind of boring even for me. This is why I think it all needs to be on the same weekend. More people would be willing to sit through the bad matchups to get to the good ones. With no chance of seeing Iowa wrestle anyone good, a lot of Hawk fans chose not to go.
    Iowa & Minnesota stormed through, but those matches would have happened anyway just earlier on. I think drawing in fans from 4 different bases and the spacing of the event to generate hype and discussion trumps that. On the opposite side, if the duals were one day the Illinois / Cornell dual would have been forgotten in an hour instead of the extra attention it received.

I really do think the regions and spacing is a overwhelming positive for national duals.

If you continue with the 2 weekend format (which I don't particularly like--I liked the old format in 1 weekend), what do teams do that lose the first weekend in terms of wrestling on the 2nd weekend? Have an extra week off? Hastily schedule duals with other teams that lost? Tying up 2 weekends in Feb and attendant uncertainties, was a significant part of the PSU coaching staff's problem with the National Duals as I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    To think that everything has to happen within a half day's drive of Minnesota or Iowa seem a bit myopic. It's 27 hours of driving (not counting stops to sleep, eat, gas, etc) to get to Ames to watch the "west" regional.

Who is saying that? If you're going to get to pick a place after seeing who is going to be in it and you want to have a good turnout, why wouldnt you pick Minnesota in this situation? If the teams were Penn State, Cornell, Iowa and Rutgers, you'd be dumb not to pick a place out East.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Sorry I completely misunderstood what you were saying. I thought that you wanted it held one one day/weekend and close to Minny/Iowa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    Sorry I completely misunderstood what you were saying. I thought that you wanted it held one one day/weekend and close to Minny/Iowa.
    You're half right. I want it held on one weekend. But I would like it to float around. I would like it to be predetermined and set in stone a long time in advance and I would like teams to have to qualify to make it, all on the same weekend. I think it should be available for all fans to see.

In the situation that happened this year, where they get to chose after seeing who is in it, I would have liked to think they would have put it where the most fans would be able to see it, not in Oklahoma because of some deal they possibly made with John Smith before hand. (I have no idea if they made a deal, but it smells kinda fishy)
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Herky,
    I never once alluded that things were done to complete satisfaction of everyone, nor done extremely right. I never implied such. How much of the marketing debacle you're describing can be put on the schools athletic promotions vs. the NWCA's marketing? Could Iowa State have bought the ad? Or was the onus on the NWCA? I was pointing out that not everything "not done" was the fault of the NWCA. This is not an attack at ISU, but more a hypothetical in terms of "well, who's responsibility is it?"

Newspaper ad: Great idea. Who pays for it?

Regarding competition: Iowa gets plenty of fans to beat up on inferior competition at the Iowa City Duals and whenever some unnamed Big Ten teams come into CHA. I don't necessarily buy that angle, although I've never been to any of the duals at CHA with over 8,000 fans. The biggest crowd I saw was around 8K when Minnesota came into town in 2008. For Arizona State, Purdue and one other dual (I've been to four), attendance was 3-4K. And this was during the Metcalf era. Not going because of the level of competition is something I can understand, but it's almost a double standard when clamoring for people to attend, then only wanting to attend for "good" teams.

I've never once disagreed with anyone about the issues regarding the site selection or how it was handled. I feel a lot like everyone else does regarding it. I also understand this is a format that WILL be tweaked. Don't doubt for a second the folks at the NWCA aren't looking right now, at this very moment, what worked for regional sites, what didn't, what to improve on, what to do moving forward. Some of us think the sky is falling when there's a change we don't like and we assume that's going to be the letter of the law.

I totally see where you are coming from, I don't necessarily agree with everything, because I think we have different ideas on what is and what isn't marketing.

Gantry does make a point -- I guess in addition to "Special Sections" I'll have to create a special section thread, much like TWT does, to appease some of this "coverage" issues. I hate bogging up the board with sticky topics, but I guess we'll have to live with it.
    Last edited by Dart Shark; 02-15-2012 at 04:45 PM.