Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What does wrestling need to be "Saved"?

Default Re: What does wrestling need to be "Saved"?

If you are going to broadcast matches, have announcers and play by play people who can actually call the sport. Be professional and have more than one camera, smooth operation and avoid referees butts blocking the action. A running clock in the corner would help a lot especially if it includes the weight and wrestlers names.

If you do it by internet, make it reliable. I watched Oklahoma State vs the Ohio State yesterday evening and, after watching some of Iowa earlier - did so with a stopwatch.

I saw 'action' that averaged 37 seconds per match. The rest of the time it was stopped for some reason. Add in no commentators and you have frustration.

Time between individual matches? One set of wrestlers runs off the mat and the next match is started before the camera gets back to them. NO time for commercials or information on the wrestlers to prep viewers for each individual matchup. NOT broadcast or fan friendly at all. If you make it a bit easier to program for broadcast you won't take away from the action and have a much better chance of attracting some viewers.

Wrestling action is not easy for the newcomer or casual viewer to follow. Even worse are matches of interminable riding or endless handfighting with no one shooting. Knowledgeable announcers would make some sense of this with information as to what is going on and why as well as filler about the individual wrestlers, team info and records. Added information as to High Schools, Fargo and other tournaments as tidbits during this time might trigger associations which would encourage them to come back or follow a particular team or wrestler.

Right now when one looks at most wrestling being broadcast, it is poorly done. One camera which often appears operated by nearsighted person suffering the DT's. Jumpy cameras, zooming in and out and not being able to switch to a second or third camera angle depending on action hurts viewing.

Add in Referees who do not clearly call what is happening as well as no information on it for viewers and you have a quick exit from screen and little possibility of getting more into the stands past family and those already involved in the sport.

Wrestling is not fan friendly. Football and other mainstream sports were not always so. They greased the wheels and pushed and got bigger.

Nebraska Football or Nebraska Wrestling - which comes to mind quickly of most who hear of the University? Same with most schools.

Iowa's wrestling crowds sound nice - but compared to Basketball?

PR and a concerted effort at marketing is sorely needed.

Some ideas...

Less focus on rankings, seedings and undefeated seasons and more focus on having the best wrestling possible. Any reason McD and Oliver couldn't wrestle an exhibition? Dake and Taylor? Those exhibitions Askren puts on at Midlands are a step in the right direction. A casual fan like myself doesn't care if the #11 wrestler just beat the #12. We want to see the stars go at it.

There are plenty of threads around about rule changes, so I'll just say this: throws are exciting. Riding and playing the edge ar not. Tweak rules accordingly.

Olympic sucsess also breeds interest. If the US isn't going to switch to folkstyle/greco anytime soon, it can at least make it easier for the athletes to compete internationally. Cut down on the number of NCAA matches and schedule the season so wrestlers can transition seamlessly into fs/greco. Tweak the rules (see above) a bit. Give NCAA champs the right to attend the University worlds or jr worlds and qualify them for the Olympic/WTT's.

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    If you are going to broadcast matches, have announcers and play by play people who can actually call the sport. Be professional and have more than one camera, smooth operation and avoid referees butts blocking the action. A running clock in the corner would help a lot especially if it includes the weight and wrestlers names.

If you do it by internet, make it reliable. I watched Oklahoma State vs the Ohio State yesterday evening and, after watching some of Iowa earlier - did so with a stopwatch.

I saw 'action' that averaged 37 seconds per match. The rest of the time it was stopped for some reason. Add in no commentators and you have frustration.

Time between individual matches? One set of wrestlers runs off the mat and the next match is started before the camera gets back to them. NO time for commercials or information on the wrestlers to prep viewers for each individual matchup. NOT broadcast or fan friendly at all. If you make it a bit easier to program for broadcast you won't take away from the action and have a much better chance of attracting some viewers.

Wrestling action is not easy for the newcomer or casual viewer to follow. Even worse are matches of interminable riding or endless handfighting with no one shooting. Knowledgeable announcers would make some sense of this with information as to what is going on and why as well as filler about the individual wrestlers, team info and records. Added information as to High Schools, Fargo and other tournaments as tidbits during this time might trigger associations which would encourage them to come back or follow a particular team or wrestler.

Right now when one looks at most wrestling being broadcast, it is poorly done. One camera which often appears operated by nearsighted person suffering the DT's. Jumpy cameras, zooming in and out and not being able to switch to a second or third camera angle depending on action hurts viewing.

Add in Referees who do not clearly call what is happening as well as no information on it for viewers and you have a quick exit from screen and little possibility of getting more into the stands past family and those already involved in the sport.

Wrestling is not fan friendly. Football and other mainstream sports were not always so. They greased the wheels and pushed and got bigger.

Nebraska Football or Nebraska Wrestling - which comes to mind quickly of most who hear of the University? Same with most schools.

I believe next year LSV will partner with Takedown radio and they will have commentators next year. There were some scheduling conflicts from TDR that prevented them from doing it this year. (I will most likely help out with that again)
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post

In response to above thoughts, I agree. Wrestling is treated very unprofessionaly. I watched a match at VTech on all access the announcers didn't know much about wrestling. Guy would put the legs in and all the announcers could say wow that looks like a pretzel hold. The spent 10 minutes talking about tatooes are inherent to wrestlers not so much other sports. Made a statement it must be the culture. I understand that wrestling coverage is getting better somebody at the college that cares about wrestling must get involved and do better job of commentary, those are small things that could be fixed to give credibilty to the sport. The Nebraska announcers were a joke, to a non wrestling fan it wouldn't matter but to me as a wrestling fan thats an insult.

I think if all the ideas written were attacked then it could happen. We need it to be more marketable, more friendly to the casual fans and done more professionally. I think all of this could happen just like everyone else says. Here are my ideas to make it happen.

1. Have more off season matches so people like Dake and Taylor could wrestle just like Askren and Herbert. Was anyone pissed that Askren and Herbert put on a great exhibition? I would also make it a point to point out the grade point averages and graduation rates of wrestlers (for the moms).

2. A fan expo where guys, girls, kids...can meet the team for photos/autographs. Offer a seminar to explain the rules and scoring so every casual fan understands what's going on. THAT IS A NO BRAINER!! IT IS THE MAIN REASON PEOPLE DON'T WATCH OR CARE.

3. Make the tournaments fan friendly. Let's just face it. Sitting in bleacher seats for 8 hours on a Saturday is BRUTAL! Have things going on around the arena to do while you're working the kinks out of your back or while your kid obviously needs a break. They have the speed pitch at baseball games, why not a speed double leg or a timed switch or stand up? Give the kids prizes for such things.

4. I agree that if you are broadcasting it, have people who know WTF they are talking about. I kept the sound on during a PSU match on BTN only because I was amazed that no one would tell them that you can't get a reversal if there was no takedown and you don't get a takedown if you started on top and just brought the dude back to the mat. There are plenty of former wrestlers who would do this (me for one!!!!)

5. If all of these things are done, but no one tells anyone that it is being done, then it's all for not. So, wrestlers, coaches, parents.....need to do all of these things and then get out and let people know it's being done. Flyers on cars at football games or restaurants around the school's city. Offer free admission to women and children for a while (let's face it, they aren't coming anyway).

Just relying on having the best teams at one certain tournament will only ensure that all you get are die hard fans. As great as that is, it isn't enough to GROW the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Repeal Title IX
    +1 looked good on paper but as we all know: unintended consequences...

Quote Originally Posted by Gantry View Post
    We need people who have no attachment to wrestling (former wrestlers, family) to become fans, even if only casual fans.
    I think before you even do that you need to first look to ex-wrestlers to follow the sport. I meet plenty of ex-wrestlers but have only met one who follows college and Olympic wrestling. This was as true in New England where there is very little DI wrestling, but a lot of ex-wrestlers and as it was in Pennsylvania.

I completely understand why someone who has never wrestled would be hard to convert to a fan, but someone who has wrestled four years in HS should be an easy convert.

Hot chicks?
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I think before you even do that you need to first look to ex-wrestlers to follow the sport. I meet plenty of ex-wrestlers but have only met one who follows college and Olympic wrestling. This was as true in New England where there is very little DI wrestling, but a lot of ex-wrestlers and as it was in Pennsylvania.

I completely understand why someone who has never wrestled would be hard to convert to a fan, but someone who has wrestled four years in HS should be an easy convert.
    I would wager that 90% of the people who post on this site (maybe more) are ex-wrestlers. The fanbase of wrestling right now is former wrestlers and their families. We dont' have them all, but how many people with zero ties to wrestling are a fan? Virtually none...

That market is so much bigger than ex-wrestlers that it should be the primary focus...